border hunter

Late archery success

What a crazy couple of days. My friend and I hiked 7 miles in some of Arizona's nastiest country  and didnt see a single elk. After calling my brother, we came up with a couple of back up plans. I got a text a few minute later saying that my brother decided to make the 4 hour drive Saturday morning. Saturday morning we got set up in a different area to try and find where the elk were. First thing we saw a big bull on top of an unhuntable ridge 1500 yards away. Next we heard a bull bugle which is cazy this time a year. We ended glassing 10 bulls but all were almost impossible to hunt with a bow. After getting a couple texts from my brother saying he had 30+ elk and around 10 bulls that were huntable we decided to back out make the 15 mile trip where he was. After finding out we lost the power steering pump cap on the jeep we fixed it with a bino cover lid and we were on our way. We met up with my brother and made a game plan for the stalk. While hiking a big ridge trying to get in front of the elk we were radioed that the herd was moving around a point and out of his view and a fast pace. After sprinting up the last 400 feet of the mountain I dropped on the other side to find fresh elk sign on a trail and just like that they got away. After collapsing on the trail for 20 minutes I stagger to my feet to make the climb back to the top of the mountain to get my pack. As I was stumbling up the trail thinking all the elk were gone I see a spike at only 20 yards! We must have saw each other at the same time and I Froze.  After a minute he went back to eating.  We played this game 3 time before I had an arrow knocked and ready to shoot. When he dropped his head I was able to draw and with my luck he stepped behind a small pine tree. After being at full draw for 30 seconds I was able to lean a bit and slip it into the narrow window of his vitals. He jumped, went a few yards and stopped. By the time it took me to knock another arrow and grab my rangefinder he started stumbling his last 20 yards down the mountain fell over! After 5 long years of archery hunting and hundreds of mistakes it all came together for my first archery kill and first elk! My arrow blew through 2 ribs and went another 20 yards and embedded in the tree. We came out with 220lbs of the best eating meat in Arizona!

20181116_065201.jpg

20181116_085943.jpg

20181117_112859.jpg

20181123_091054.jpg

20181117_120655.jpg

20181123_091412.jpg

20181117_135019.jpg

Resized952018111795163830.jpg

Resized952018111795165120.jpg

• Like 18

Congrats!

Congrats on the bull.  Oh how it is nice having horses to haul that meat out.  I got my late archery bull because he bugled.  Happens a lot if you can catch some cows that happen to go back into cycle.

Great job!

And what a power steering pump patch!!

Hats off to you.  Finding huntable bulls is a chore!