Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Local Paper Buck

24 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I'm plenty old enough to remember when hunting and fishing had its own full "outdoors" page in the Phoenix Gazette (no defunct) and AZ Republic. Slowly over the years it shrunk and eventually was shut down. I believe the last outdoor editor at the Republic was DeWayne Smith. 

bill valentine's saltwater column, bob whitaker with the fishing stories(i followed bob's direction to the letter and caught my first nice bass on a ;motor oil' creme worm rigged texas style at san carlos circa 1972), guest columns by ben avery, bob hirsch, steve gallizioli and many others.

1 hour ago, biglakejake said:

bill valentine's saltwater column, bob whitaker with the fishing stories(i followed bob's direction to the letter and caught my first nice bass on a ;motor oil' creme worm rigged texas style at san carlos circa 1972), guest columns by ben avery, bob hirsch, steve gallizioli and many others.

Hirsch, Whitaker and Gallizioli were long-time friends of mine. I knew both Vallentine and Avery on a first name basis but didn't mix with them often. 

I borrowed Hirsch's trailer for an elk hunt in unit 7 during the 1990s. The bathroom and kitchen areas were in pretty bad shape. So when I got home I asked him if he would be using it anytime soon, which he wasn't. So I kept it at my place and completely renovated the damaged stuff, including rebuilding the entire cabinet area that housed the stove and sink and replacing the wood flooring and vinyl in the bathroom.

Gallizioli, Jim Tallon and I hunted dove and quail together many times over the years. Steve was still working for the department back then. I lost touch with him about 10 years ago and saw where he died a while back. Tallon, who was my mentor in the writing business, and Whitaker are also dead. 

• Sad 1

I noticed the author too...and heck the headline aligns with all the mainstream media headline tactics...she’s doing a great job grabbing attention!

When we were living in Ash Fork the Williams news paper always had a big buck contest page or two!!!! 

The Hillside(Cauthen) gas station always had a big buck contest where I won the "average" as he always paid out a smallest, average and biggest buck contest!!!

I won a Ruger 22 semi auto rifle and got my picture in the paper :) gotta love small town news! All my kids birthday pictures ended  up in the news cause the Ash Fork rep knew us!!!!!

Can't deny fame!!!

• Like 1

Outdoor writer , The Republic used to have 2 pages of outdoor  Stuff , 1 fishing and 1 hunting on thursdays. That along with 2-3 3 pages on Golf thursday as well. No more. I quit it in 2011 after 34 years . nothin in it ,Sad for a major city. Even the USA TODAY paper sucks to now ,All owned By Gannet..............BOB!

On 9/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

I'm plenty old enough to remember when hunting and fishing had its own full "outdoors" page in the Phoenix Gazette (now defunct) and AZ Republic. Slowly over the years it shrunk and eventually was shut down. I believe the last outdoor editor at the Republic was DeWayne Smith. 

Edited: After some thought, I seem to recall Barry Burkhart, not DeWayne was actually the last outdoor editor. 

The outdoor writer for the Republic was Ned Smith and Reed Peterson.  They also had a little hunting show on local TV.  Ned is still around but Reed passed away a few years ago.  I hunted Mexico a few years ago with Ned and his son.  I loved hearing all the stories.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

The outdoor writer for the Republic was Ned Smith and Reed Peterson.  They also had a little hunting show on local TV.  Ned is still around but Reed passed away a few years ago.  I hunted Mexico a few years ago with Ned and his son.  I loved hearing all the stories.

I remember them. That was many years ago (1980s?) when Ben Avery was still doing a column.  I met Ned once but didn't know Petersen at all. 

46 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I remember them. That was many years ago (1980s?) when Ben Avery was still doing a column.  I met Ned once but didn't know Petersen at all. 

He was one heck of a bear caller and a down to earth guy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

He was one heck of a bear caller and a down to earth guy.

He had a store on Main St. In Mesa also.