PRDATR

Anyone know the family washed away in Tonto Basin?

This is horrible, especially on Thanksgiving weekend.  Too bad the Sheriff and media are already convicting the parents,  its too early to know what happened!

Prayers and sympathies for the family. To judge the situation or beat up on the families is a shame because it not like they are not living the outcome. It's only good to appropriately go over what happened so we can all learn or that remedies for the situation can be considered.

• Like 4

I know a friend is out there today trying to do the body recovery of the last little girl. So sad, i watched a video pulling the truck from the wash. They hooked a dozer up to the truck and pulled it out of what it looked like a very deep hole that seems would be very tough to know it was even there. Unreal for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I wish I could give them all a very big hug. 

It blows my mind that someone would be so inconsiderate and self serving to attempt to take this topic over in such a manner. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I wish I could give them all a very big hug. 

It blows my mind that someone would be so inconsiderate and self serving to attempt to take this topic over in such a manner. 

Well said.  Anyone else think the Gila County Sheriff's statements about parents actions were in poor taste. Its a little too soon to know all the facts about what happened. Unless they arnt telling us everything. 

Special thanks to all the CWT family up there helping in the search.

• Like 2

Just got back from searching. Tonto Creek is running about at the level that the Salt River does in the summer mostly shallow but some portions are over 6’ deep. The current is strong. They found some clothing near the crossing where they got stuck, but no other sign of the girl. I am sure she is still submerged in a snag somewhere. I spent almost all my time wading the river checking snags. It’s a sickening feeling every time you reach under water to feel around... hoping you don’t find what you are looking for. The whole situation is horrible. Nothing good about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

12 hours ago, WHALE said:

I wish they would just build the bridge across. I cant believe it hasn't been built yet it effects a large number of peoples lives.

I thought they had one back in the early 80's, but it was washed out sometime later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 520HUNT said:

Well said.  Anyone else think the Gila County Sheriff's statements about parents actions were in poor taste. Its a little too soon to know all the facts about what happened. Unless they arnt telling us everything. 

Special thanks to all the CWT family up there helping in the search.

I think everyone is frustrated, tired, cold and depressed about this tragedy. I am sure this is the sheriff’s worst nightmare just like it is the families.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I think everyone is frustrated, tired, cold and depressed about this tragedy. I am sure this is the sheriff’s worst nightmare just like it is the families.

Andrew, thank you for your efforts, your a good man.

Who while crossing the lower Tonto hasn't felt the sphincter tighten? It's a difficult decision depending on flow and your rig.

Listening and reading the news accounts on this tragedy varied wildly. It was reported they were in a car, a pickup, motor home or military vehicle as if what the family was using to trek across the Tonto didn't matter.

Turns out the family was in a 2 1/2 ton AWD,  tandem axled military truck, probably an M109 or M35.IMG_4302__55590.1556647260.jpg.abbb86f08277dc36b0bde5514013283f.jpg

Depending on the perceived flow of the Creek, most competent outdoorsmen would feel confident crossing in this rig.

• Like 4

Ive been keeping my thoughts to myself.  Some frustration, and sadness but you never know until you see all the details.  ^^^^^^But after looking at the 2-1/2 ton I agree with Edge.  You could feel confident about it.  All we can do now is learn from this.  Prayers to the families.  So sad 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

IMG_4302__55590.1556647260.jpg.abbb86f08277dc36b0bde5514013283f.jpg

Depending on the perceived flow of the Creek, most competent outdoorsmen would feel confident crossing in this rig.

looks like it was a cab over single axle flatbed.

62ef1c32-7335-4be0-8c5f-c6c6ee59065e_360x203.jpg