Sign in to follow this  
azgary

UNIT 11 M for 12/13/2019

Hey guys, can someone help out an old disabled Veteran?  I haven’t shot a deer with stick and string in over 50 years, and not from lack of trying. I have lived here in AZ for over 25 years and been hunting Coues and Muleys here for the past ~10 years. My diet has been TAG SOUP. Granted, I missed a few shots, but I have been honing my skills and it feels like this could be the year. Yes, I got drawn for GMU 11 M but I have never hunted it. Either sex?  Wow, I’d be super happy to shoot a mature doe to go with all that soup. Anyway, this old guy doesn’t have that many hunts left in him, so I’m a little desperate and would appreciate any advice you can provide.  Do I hunt from my treestand? On the ground? Spot and stalk?  Any general locations better than the rest?  Thank you brothers in hunting. 

I had to look that one up.  Has to be the only either sex deer tag in the whole state for adults?  Sorry I’m no help.  I think SEEKER killed a 400” elk, a 160” coues and a 220” muley in there though.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I had to look that one up.  Has to be the only either sex deer tag in the whole state for adults?  Sorry I’m no help.  I think SEEKER killed a 400” elk, a 160” coues and a 220” muley in there though.  

lol 

50 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

He did it wearing sweatpants and sandles with socks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you are content shooting a doe I might be inclined to sit water in a blind with a buddy heater inside.  But I dont know north units at all.  If your willing to travel down south i got some spots we could set you up at to kill something.  Dont expect nothing big but a first is a first.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

All while being a marine sniper, navy seal and master taxidermist for 87 years.  

• Like 1

I started in like 1988 or so and it took me until 2012 to kill a buck with my bow so my best advice is if you want it bad enough, persevere.  Not every season, but every other or so I probably spent at least one weekend in the field.  Keep trying!  Good things happen to those who are prepared and persistent.  I like a treestand better than a blind because it gets your scent up off the ground.  Still have to keep the wind in mind though.  A pop up blind works well too since it keeps some of your scent contained in the blind.  Best of luck to you man, keep us posted how this goes.  I used to see a fair amount of deer in 11m off the Woody Mountain road before it hits 6B.  If there are any burns or areas with oak, I would start with those first.

• Like 1

Lots of snow/moisture in 11M right now, find open ground close to town that you can legally hunt and spend some time there. critters are looking for food now water is everywhere.

the doe's are thick in that unit just shoot the first one you see. all the water tanks up there are frozen. I would do a spot and stalk no need to sit a tree stand or ground blind in that unit, 

11m has pockets where deer density is high. A little scouting and they are easy to find. No one has shot at a doe here for about 35 years or when ever the last archery any deer tags were issued so the does have very little fear of people compared to the bucks. I would recommend trying to find one of the high density pockets and pattern or just take note of where you see them. I keep seeing the same does in the same places that I did during the august archery hunt. I will be out there to trying to get a buddy of mine his first deer with a bow.

If you can hike a little and want to try spot/stalk, there are tons of deer on/around the appropriately named Deer Hill Trail between Elden horse camp and the 545 road.  Easy hike.  The 556 road is closed before you reach the horse camp on the south end, but can get around it with a 4x4.  Otherwise come in from the north side. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recarea/?recid=75166