AZLance

Hungry Mountain Lions

7 hours ago, Edge said:

I'm thinking if the lions were scavenging, body would have to be pretty fresh.

I'm leaning towards the cats being the souls cause of death.

I always thought that cats wouldn’t eat anything they didn’t kill, unless they were starving?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

Man is the deer herd so bad that the poor lions have to eat on liberal hikers? 

They dont just kill deer/elk they will get after rabbits, javelina, bobcat and coyote. I have talked to a biologist about what they will feed on and They dont care when they are hungry. I was glassing for deer during a scouting trip in unit 23 when I saw a huge cloud of dust fly up across the canyon about 450 / 500 yards then a pack of coyote began barking yipping and a very stocky/blocky headed lion comes into view holding a coyote in by the throat. He very slowly worked his way to the bottom of the draw under the cover of a large low hanging juniper and ate lunch. There were five coyotes barking and yipping at him the whole time he picked his way down the canyon but they never came closer than about 40/50 yards from him. The whole episode took exactly 45 minutes.  

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

This was probably a case of momma showing two juveniles how easy, tasty and juicy people are. I'm surprised people aren't eaten more often.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

I always thought that cats wouldn’t eat anything they didn’t kill, unless they were starving?? 

The G&F guy said they don't eat carrion but their statement is they can't conclusively tell if the lions made the kill.  Talking out both sides of his mouth.  I seriously doubt they would kill three lions unless they were pretty sure.  Less pressure on the sheep now!

• Like 3

It’s junk science.  I don’t believe they studied a lion that killed and fed on a human and  followed it to find out if it prefers humans after that.  Besides, when a killer dumps a body in the desert or wherever, the animals feed on it until the bones are discovered.  They would have to kill every predator to make sure they got the one(s) that fed on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saguaro said:

It’s junk science.  I don’t believe they studied a lion that killed and fed on a human and  followed it to find out if it prefers humans after that.  Besides, when a killer dumps a body in the desert or wherever, the animals feed on it until the bones are discovered.  They would have to kill every predator to make sure they got the one(s) that fed on it.

Interesting perspective. For my point of view a lion that kills and feeds on a human is a dead lion not a lion to be studied. As far as predators feeding on a dumped body in the middle of nowhere, well the concern is not the same as when you have what appears to be a lioness and her cubs feeding on human remains showing no fear of people and in a populated area. Taking out these lions was the prudent thing to do. Heck there are more lions in AZ now than there was 100 years ago, not like they are endangered.

• Like 5

If the Lions did kill the hiker - How forthcoming will G&F be?  Will there be a press release or attempt to keep it quiet?  

6 hours ago, Saguaro said:

They would have to kill every predator to make sure they got the one(s) that fed on it.

Who do I need to talk to to make that happen?

• Haha 2