Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Colt Python is Back!!!

image.thumb.png.708cb21ac3e66f20ce96db4d34b09f0d.png

It's back!  I'm sure it will be a while before we can actually purchase one due to the demand, but I'm definitely buying one.  It looks like they did a great job keeping the good looks of the original Python in the new Python.  For a Python it's reasonably priced.  For a normal high end revolver, it's a little much!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Wow!!  Can’t you get an original for around $2k?  

Ones in really nice condition start at $3K and go up from there. The newer ones will be mass produced and without the individual fitting that was done with the originals.  Still though they will sell even at that list price but time will tell how well they are put together or sell but retail will be lower.

• Like 2

I had a 6" blue python that I bought in 1983 at Smitty's for $305 or something near there.  When I was in college I needed money for rent and I sold it for $450.  Listed it in az republic classifieds for Saturday and Sunday and the phone started ringing at 5:00 am.  First guy bought it and I have always regretted selling it and that is why I'm happy to see they are making it again.   Besides looking bad butt they were always the smoothest action revolver made straight from factory.  I got my name on the wait list this time.  

I'm guessing since Colt stopped making the AR's they are bringing back something they never should have stopped making to begin with.  

• Like 4

Glad to see it come back. I’m sure the action won’t as nice as the original but a beautiful pistol!

Rick Grimes resurrected the Python!!!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Rick Grimes resurrected the Python!!!

Lol, was just thinking that.  Beautiful revolver but $1500? Holy nuts!

I would wait a while and see what the consensus is. Don’t be someone in the test market... Colts quality has been going in the toilet for a while now. Lost government m4 contract to FN, filed for bankruptcy in 2015.  Our PD even stopped using our most recent Colts due to quality issues that I saw first hand. Colt doesn’t even make AR15s anymore. In a time when EVERYONE makes an AR, Colt stopped?  No way I would drop that kind of money on a new production Colt. I’m not sure the demand will be as great as you think.  The name “Python” returned, i’m predicting the quality did not as the old ones were all hand fit and not just production guns. Just my opinion

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

I would wait a while and see what the consensus is. Don’t be someone in the test market... Colts quality has been going in the toilet for a while now. Lost government m4 contract to FN, filed for bankruptcy in 2015.  Our PD even stopped using our most recent Colts due to quality issues that I saw first hand. Colt doesn’t even make AR15s anymore. In a time when EVERYONE makes an AR, Colt stopped?  No way I would drop that kind of money on a new production Colt. I’m not sure the demand will be as great as you think.  The name “Python” returned, i’m predicting the quality did not as the old ones were all hand fit and not just production guns. Just my opinion

Colt still makes the AR they just don't market it and sell it to the citizens anymore.  The way I understood it, they were still available for LE and Military sales.  F Colt and their marketing gimmicks.

3 minutes ago, Heat said:

Colt still makes the AR they just don't market it and sell it to the citizens anymore.  The way I understood it, they were still available for LE and Military sales.  F Colt and their marketing gimmicks.

Correct. They dont make them for the citizen market

Circa 1967, I was working at the Jewel Box on 1st. Ave in downtown Phoenix. We sold a lot of Pythons, but we also sold lots of altered Colt Diamondbacks after they were introduced. We had them reamed to accept the .357 mag cartridge, and the barrel was restamped to reflect that. 

Later into the early 1970s, I went to work for American Wholesale Hardware out of Long Beach, CA as a road rep selling firearms and fishing gear to retailers here in AZ. S&W, Colt & Ruger were just three of the lines we sold. I wish I knew then what I know now and had the money to stash a few dozen S&W M29s and Colt Pythons. Likewise for Belgium-made Brownings. 🤬

As an aside, the owner of American Wholesale Hardware, Judge Anderson, provided a goodly portion of the financial backing for Ruger & Sturm to start their company. Thus, even when firearms were being meted out, we never lacked having plenty of whatever Ruger made at the time. 

• Like 3