Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Rifle recommendations

Never could bring my adult self to carry a wood stocked rifle through the coues woods. Scratches dings and dents hurt to look at.

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Never could bring my adult self to carry a wood stocked rifle through the coues woods. Scratches dings and dents hurt to look at.

They have their place. I remember when you first came on here and posted 20X's a day and asked a million questions and watched you grow up on here. One day when you stop and think back that it's not's nearly all about you you just might be humbled and a little less arrogant. Maybe your divorce that we all saw coming could have been averted but I doubt you will learn from it.

Take it from some who has been there and done it you have a lot of growing up to do both in your personal and professional life.

24 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

They have their place. I remember when you first came on here and posted 20X's a day and asked a million questions and watched you grow up on here. One day when you stop and think back that it's not's nearly all about you you just might be humbled and a little less arrogant. Maybe your divorce that we all saw coming could have been averted but I doubt you will learn from it.

Take it from some who has been there and done it you have a lot of growing up to do both in your personal and professional life.

Don't know what that has to do with a wood stocked rifle but ok.

• Like 3

I too love the look of beautiful wood stocked rifles.

In temperate weather and comfortable conditions it would be my go to.

I'm lucky that I can still hike the mountain to glass for game.  With the unforgiving

rock outcroppings and the thorns of bushes holding you back, a rifle can take an

unexpected beating.  Since then it's been synthetic for me.

I have been contemplating having a nice composite stock sanded smooth and hydro

dipped with a nice burlwood film!

9 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

I alluded to a Western classic in a previous post.  Here's a nice Cooper Western Classic in 25-06 for sale.    https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15122938/cooper-52-western-classic-25-06-w-upgrades#Post15122938

This is a rifle of class.  From the beautiful wood grain, octagon barrel, to the choice in checkering...then did you see the case hardened action!!??  Just WOW.

Several years ago, Doug here turned me on to Cooper rifles.  I bought a composite stock Excalibur in 280AI and it shot lights out!

I understand both ways of thinking.  I consider myself a true gun guy.  It’s all I think about some days.  I know it’s easier to accept dings and scratches on a composite stock than a show piece Walnut job.  There is also that part of me that sees a nice wood stock with the proper checkering, lop, possibility a unique fore end, sling swivels and metal finishing and can’t help but to respect and want to use it.  I don’t think wood or walnut is more or less accurate for me when I’m hunting because I killed all of my big game in 400 yards or less.  It’s usually around 50-150 yards.  I’m not interested in those 750 yard shots at game like a lot of people are.  I have a target rifle I do those things with.

15 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I am the opposite, as I think that nice wood even with scratches and dings still looks better than a new piece of plastic with no soul.  The scratches also speak of good memories of past hunts.  If one is worried about inclimate weather, the wood stock's barrel channel, inletting, checkering and under the recoil pad can be sealed.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

I am the opposite, as I think that nice wood even with scratches and dings still looks better than a new piece of plastic with no soul.  The scratches also speak of good memories of past hunts.  If one is worried about inclimate weather, the wood stock's barrel channel, inletting, checkering and under the recoil pad can be sealed.

13 hours ago, Chef said:

I too love the look of beautiful wood stocked rifles.

In temperate weather and comfortable conditions it would be my go to.

I'm lucky that I can still hike the mountain to glass for game.  With the unforgiving

rock outcroppings and the thorns of bushes holding you back, a rifle can take an

unexpected beating.  Since then it's been synthetic for me.

I have been contemplating having a nice composite stock sanded smooth and hydro

dipped with a nice burlwood film!

10 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

Was thinking this exact sentiment Doug, when I saw Hector's note regarding synthetics.   I'm fairly careful and will never loosely abuse a rifle, but I don't mind a few scratches/dings a bit. ;) 

21 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Casey, you have my permission to curb-stomp this SOB.  

Tikka makes a decent wood stock, Hunter Stainless. This is their older model, T3 in 30.06. Took me a while to find one, but no regrets. But I think their T3x comes in wood stock and stainless.

Capture.JPG

Tikkas are amazing. I think highly underrated as well. A few scratches, nicks and dings don’t bother me. If anything the stock isn’t holding me back, it’s the lighter sporter barrel but I don’t see that as a handicap. I just have to hunt by what it’s capable of and I’m ok with that. 

1 hour ago, BeardownAZ said:

Tikkas are amazing. I think highly underrated as well. A few scratches, nicks and dings don’t bother me. If anything the stock isn’t holding me back, it’s the lighter sporter barrel but I don’t see that as a handicap. I just have to hunt by what it’s capable of and I’m ok with that. 

I've got the Tikka T3X in a superlite.    It has the fluted stainless barrel.   It shoots 1/2 MOA (with reloads) all day long out to 500+ yards.   Tikka could be argued to be the best bang for you buck.....pun intended.   

• Like 1

I've had 3 Tikkas, a 7mm Mag that I sold to a member here, a .308 Win that I sold to a member here, and a 30-06 that sold on Gunbroker. All three shot great. The only thing that I personally don't care for are their safety.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:16 AM, stanley said:

Was thinking this exact sentiment Doug, when I saw Hector's note regarding synthetics.   I'm fairly careful and will never loosely abuse a rifle, but I don't mind a few scratches/dings a bit. ;) 

Me too. never abused them and always very super careful where I set them down so they dont get stratched. was out hunting one year for elk and my sling broke. it was a leather sling I made in middle school during shop class 20 years prior. it was my favortie Ruger#1 in 300 winmag and the only one I shot out of 3 of the 300's. anyway sling broke, fell off my shoulder and hit a rock on the forearm, busted a chunk out of the end up it and a small silver mark in the blueing, I was done for the day mater of fact I didnt fell like hunting anymore that season was pretty pissed at myself. cool thing about it is that the pice fits right back and you cant see anything but a small hair line. one of these days I would just buy a new stock for it or fix it but I leave it there to remember to check my slings and be carefull.