AzDiamondHeat

Road Hunting discussion

a trophy cow elk is one you kill with one neck shot, dies with its back legs sticking out into a two track road with a huge oak tree overhead to hang and skin it from.

lee

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

Hi, my name's Joe and I'm a road hunter. It's been 3 days since my last road hunt. Some days are better than others but today has been a tough one because all I can think of is cruising around in my truck looking for deer sipping back on a Dr. Pepper while listening to some Jon Pardi, Luke Combs and Midland. heck I might even through in a little 311 just to mix it up a bit. As much as I try there's no use fighting it I'm a born and raised roadhuntin fool. 

This is the kind of how-to info I wanted to see. And if 311 is on the playlist I’m definitely down. Last archery kill I may not have used my truck as cover...wasn’t road hunting per se but definitely an opportunity. 

• Like 1

Let’s not confuse moving from point a to b and finding a target of opportunity. 

and 

driving around looking for something to shoot.

one is just good sense and ones illegal.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

You all would kill a big buck if you seen it standing off the side of a road on the way to your hunting area. 

I think a few people have tried that and the big buck ended up being a decoy from G&F. The last time I saw it at the AZ State Fair exhibit, it had been shot quite a few times.

• Haha 1

The deer, elk or antelope won’t sit still long enough for you to get a shot where I hunt if you’re hunting out of a vehicle.  First of all, there aren’t many there to begin with and the ones that are there are very spooky.   In the past 20 years, I’ve seen maybe 5 bucks that will stare at you while you drive.  Of course they were very young.  The others I only saw because they were running away.  Elk seem to stay put a little longer but never deer or antelope.  

Usually Day three legs and feet are tired.  I find myself in the truck a little more :)

1 hour ago, Curtis Reed said:

No road hunting for me..... but I have been known to bowhunt using salt!  I guess that makes me just as bad lol. 

At least you’re not a cornbagger...

• Like 1

We are typically against road hunting and hike in most of the time.  With that said during this years archery elk hunt I had an opportunity from the road I couldn't pass up.  We were hunting from opening day until Wednesday.  Saw a lot, but never got a chance to pull back my bow.  Wife and I had to head back for work Thursday and Friday and came back up Friday after work to get three more days of hunting back in.  On the drive in back to our camp spot my wife spotted a herd about 100 yards off the road.  We both got down, grabbed our bows and I ended up getting mine right there.  Easiest pack out ever.  Dropped about 60 yards from my shot.  Made three trips packing out the meat only 100 yards to my truck :).  I just took advantage of the opportunity presented to us. 

• Like 1

wouldnt you hate road hunters too if you were some newb who listened to every cam hanes podcast, every steve rinella video, bought all the KUIU. then had some dude with a Trump 2020 sticker on his truck, wearing jeans, 30 years of experience, shoots out a nice buck out the window. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

wouldnt you hate road hunters too if you were some newb who listened to every cam hanes podcast, every steve rinella video, bought all the KUIU. then had some dude with a Trump 2020 sticker on his truck, wearing jeans, 30 years of experience, shoots out a nice buck out the window. 

Sounds like my uncle. Minus the bumper sticker. He hates bumper stickers.

• Like 1

Road hunters are a necessary part of the ecosystem, somebody has to shoot the Game and Fish decoys.

• Haha 1