Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Short Cow Bison Hunt!!

52 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

What distance did you take your first shot?

Eddie

Would estimate something like 35-40ish yards.  Didn’t range it.  😉

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stanley said:

Would estimate something like 35-40ish yards.  Didn’t range it.  😉

Perfect and ballpark was all I was looking for. 

Asking to make sure my 45-70 would do the deed and it will at < ~100 yards.

Thanks.

• Like 1

super cool man im jealous, I think that's one of the first times I have heard of a good experience with those hunts. Congrats

• Like 2

Good for you Stan! So happy this worked out for one of the good guys. Karma at work right here!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tomharveyb said:

Congratulations!   You were spared a mind numbing experience of waiting endless hours for something to happen.  

No doubt!!!   During my brief time in the blind, I was trying to get myself ready for the mental marathon that I was facing.   I was looking around at my little window on the world, saying to myself something like;  "I've got a nice view, there are birds, trees, a few deer....   I CAN do this!!!"   But yes, fate spared me that test, though. ;) 

Awesome, congrats! Great to hear of a positive experience. I am still unsure how I feel about the Bison situation..so I just continue to buy points. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Congratulations Stanley that sure beats sitting all day. Did you have help processing it?

Thanks!  For sure, 2 1/2 hours is better than all day (or all season)!

For processing, I generally do my own butchering on all animals.  For this one, my buddy and I spent several hours the day after the kill de-boning and sorting the cuts.  I ended-up giving him a large portion (like > 3rd) to take back to Salt Lake with him.   For the share I brought home, I spent last Monday morning cutting & wrapping the standard cuts.   After handling the standard roasts/steaks/chops/cuts, I was left with about 80 pounds of 'trimmings' .  I wrapped about 30 pounds of the trimmings into 1 & 2 pound stew-meat freezer packages.    I don't have a grinder, so I took about 50 lbs over to Miller's Southwest Processing to have ground into burger.  Miller's was pretty quick, so I picked-up the burger on Saturday.  My son and I enjoyed buffalo burgers while watching football yesterday.  Was awesome! 

Now that I've got it all sorted and frozen, I'm going through all of the requests from friends, trying to share a bit with all. ;)  

As a side note, I've also been experimenting lately with canning meat & stews.  I took about 5 pounds of the stew meat and made a great batch of red chili, then canned/jarred it in 16oz jars in the pressure cooker.  Loving the canning/jarring for long-term storage!

S.

• Like 2