thegunsmith2506

Arizona

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

I thought copper was pretty much worthless until the latest parts of the 1800s. 

Worthless or not, small mines existed long before the orchards. Probably the earliest larger scale operation was near Ajo. The big open pit jobs began a bit later in the later 1800s but still before the orchards. 

Actually the copper wasn't worthless, per se. It was just too hard to mine, but the coming of the railroad made shipping the ore elsewhere for smelting more profitable. 

There are a bunch of good historical books in the library about mining in AZ. They make for good reads. 

4 hours ago, DCS said:

Thats why you failed Az civics.Citrus and Climate were always there.

Not quite sure why the nasty comments?  I did pretty well in school and from a copper mining town.  

I remember there were signs in Safford that specifically listed Copper, Cattle, and Cotton.  I did a search and verified that and the same for Graham, Cochise, and Yavapai -- Three C's.  Additionally, Facts for now (https://factsfornow.scholastic.com/article?product_id=nbk&type=0ta&uid=10667852&id=a2001460-h):  " ...Arizona's economy was dominated by the so-called Three C's. They were copper, cattle, and cotton. Those industries remain important. But today most Arizonans work in services or manufacturing."  Certainly the "smaller" counties were behind the times but the Three C's seem prevalent.  And now they push seven C's adding cactus and canyons so everyone is included.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I am sure if you fact checked the whole list you could find a few wrong facts. I was curious about the ones you brought up so I looked them up. 

I did a quick search and read that Kitt Peak is the larges binocular telescope in the US. Looks like there are bigger telescopes in the US. 

I got this from the Az state library

Arizona's Five C's are: Copper, Cattle, Cotton, Citrus and Climate.

Here is some interesting info on the San Pedro. I grew up down there and had no idea how much wildlife that river supported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Pedro_River_(Arizona)

Kitt Peak is the Largest Solar telescope .

The LBTO Large Binocular Telescope Observatory is the largest binocular telescope in the world on top of mount Graham.

Several telescopes are under construction at this time that will eventually be more powerful. 
 Did you know that under the UA stadium is where the mirrors for the LBT and the mirrors for the future GMT ( which has seven mirrors ) are cast?

8.432 meters diameter, weigh over 15 tons each, take about three years to finish each one.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, singleshot said:

Kitt Peak is the Largest Solar telescope .

The LBTO Large Binocular Telescope Observatory is the largest binocular telescope in the world on top of mount Graham.

Several telescopes are under construction at this time that will eventually be more powerful. 
 Did you know that under the UA stadium is where the mirrors for the LBT and the mirrors for the future GMT ( which has seven mirrors ) are cast?

8.432 meters diameter, weigh over 15 tons each, take about three years to finish each one.

Optical Science Center @ UofA is a world class facility that all Arizonans can be proud of.

• Like 1

It would be nice if I was in charge.  There would be 6 Cs in Arizona.  The sixth being Carbines.  I would make sure all of the students take 4 years of gunsmithing and gun safety in High School and make it a law that every house has a carbine.

14 hours ago, Big Tub said:

Not quite sure why the nasty comments?  I did pretty well in school and from a copper mining town.  

I remember there were signs in Safford that specifically listed Copper, Cattle, and Cotton.  I did a search and verified that and the same for Graham, Cochise, and Yavapai -- Three C's.  Additionally, Facts for now (https://factsfornow.scholastic.com/article?product_id=nbk&type=0ta&uid=10667852&id=a2001460-h😞 " ...Arizona's economy was dominated by the so-called Three C's. They were copper, cattle, and cotton. Those industries remain important. But today most Arizonans work in services or manufacturing."  Certainly the "smaller" counties were behind the times but the Three C's seem prevalent.  And now they push seven C's adding cactus and canyons so everyone is included.  

I was born in 56 and I have always heard the 5 C's. But maybe some counties did not much like citrus and being rural were not to impressed with climate. When you work a ranch or farm climate more often that not is a hinderance more than a help.

It wasn't meant as a nasty comment,I was only teasing.The climate is why everyone is moving here.

Thought climate was added later too. Only remember 4 C’s growing up, 2 million people, and one area code.

Of course if I mis-remember, I will blame the public scrool systim.... 🤣

When I moved to Tucson, Orange Grove Rd. smelled so good in the spring.  Parts of Phx also.  I dont know of a single orange grove in AZ now.  Just nuts now.  LOL

35 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Climate, 105+ degrees 7 months out of the year 

culture, people driving their cars into their driveways and never talking to their neighbors

This is true only for the city.  In my home town of Holbrook, I sometimes go for a drive and pass friends or neighbors homes.  If they are outside, I stop and visit with them.  Most of the time when I do that, I get invited inside and enjoy a meal with the family.  Likewise, when people pass my house and see me, they almost always stop to visit. My home in Mesa, I make every effort to avoid neighbors expect for one.  I find I don’t even answer the door.

• Like 1

Th new 5 C’s could be :   Californians,Crackheads , Crackpots, Crowding, and Congestion.

• Like 4