MULEPACKHUNTER

18,000 new elk apps

Like trphyhntr I dont have a problem finding mature mule deer in any of the units I have hunted since the early 80's.

I actually have seen more deer (numbers wise) in some units that I have hunted over the last 5-10 years than I did 20+ years ago. It could be I just know the spots where to find deer but I hunt the same areas I hunted back then also.

coues deer south of globe I dont hunt that much anymore like I used too so I can speculate on that. but north of phoenix the coues deer population has grown at least what I am seeing. even seen some in 20c a few times right off yarnell hill road.

I don't understand all this whining about archery deer harvest ratios. Mandatory reporting? Game and Fish tried this a while back then took it away. Well, at least they did it for archery hunters. They wanted to make sure they knew how many deer were being harvested during the archery hunts but didn't take the rifle hunting harvest numbers seriously. Sure, the game surveys were sent out for all hunters but it wasn't mandatory. I don't know why Game and Fish dropped the mandatory archery harvest requirement but I have my suspicions. I found it disgusting they only wanted numbers from archery hunters but not rifle hunters. With the optics and long-range "shooters" running everywhere the real numbers on harvest for rifle tags have had to go up, not to mention the harvest % of mature bucks. 

How many of the "voluntary" surveys actually get filled out? Of those how many are filled out honestly?

But please carry on, I'm sure archery hunters are killing all the deer(mature bucks mostly) and this is what is causing deer numbers to go down....... LMAO sometimes this site disgusts me with the ignorance of so-called "sportsmen".

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, huntlines said:

With the optics and long-range "shooters" running everywhere the real numbers on harvest for rifle tags have had to go up, not to mention the harvest % of mature bucks.

I dont think it went up that much. alot of guys still suck at shooting always have always will. wont make a difference of what you give them there not going to hit crap especially long shots away from the bench and level ground of the range.

Just now, Delw said:

I dont think it went up that much. alot of guys still suck at shooting always have always will. wont make a difference of what you give them there not going to hit crap especially long shots away from the bench and level ground of the range.

Another point made, how many were wounded and never found? This number is never accurately calculated......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delw said:

I have seen video of 10 year old kids making shots at 500 plus yards with the rifle in a JAWS clamp and turret scopes that daddy set up.........I would say that the long range shots have definitely increased what game is being killed when you consider that both you and I probably shot our first deer with open sites at somewhere under 100 yards! 

As for the rest of the 9 pages.....population is booming............I would personally prefer less tags and more quality hunts but I can't get drawn anyways so..............back to coyote hunting!!!!

9 minutes ago, huntlines said:

Another point made, how many were wounded and never found? This number is never accurately calculated......

very true

6 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I have seen video of 10 year old kids making shots at 500 plus yards with the rifle in a JAWS clamp and turret scopes that daddy set up.........I would say that the long range shots have definitely increased what game is being killed when you consider that both you and I probably shot our first deer with open sites at somewhere under 100 yards! 

As for the rest of the 9 pages.....population is booming............I would personally prefer less tags and more quality hunts but I can't get drawn anyways so..............back to coyote hunting!!!!

I understand what your saying

Close 1st deer I ever shot was at night out the window of a pick-up truck with a open sighted 22 ;)

• Like 2

You guys all know the drop in deer population is directly related to the boom of the 6.5 CM. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, 1denogean said:

The man bun has definitely taken over. I actually saw a guy bow hunting with a man bun this january

And you didn’t even say hi? And I thought we were friends.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Integrity and ethics are everything!

Following another thread, I am seeing many people admitting that they manipulate the system and put in all their non-hunting relatives in hopes of drawing a tag they or their kids can use.  I even saw a guy admit his first deer was taken out the window of a pickup truck with a 22 LR at night! (But that is for another thread.)

Keep in mind the ones that are ruining our true opportunity to hunt and decreasing the odds of drawing are the people manipulating the system to better benefit themselves.  The increase in applicants is probably not as much due to population increases as much as it is everybody entering grandma, grandpa, Cousin Vinny, Sister Sue and their neighbors who will never set foot in the field.  Or, as I see so often, go to the field so they are present while the adult manipulating the system shoots the animal for them while they are in camp!

2 minutes ago, aspenband said:

Integrity and ethics are everything!

Following another thread, I am seeing many people admitting that they manipulate the system and put in all their non-hunting relatives in hopes of drawing a tag they or their kids can use.  I even saw a guy admit his first deer was taken out the window of a pickup truck with a 22 LR at night! (But that is for another thread.)

Keep in mind the ones that are ruining our true opportunity to hunt and decreasing the odds of drawing are the people manipulating the system to better benefit themselves.  The increase in applicants is probably not as much due to population increases as much as it is everybody entering grandma, grandpa, Cousin Vinny, Sister Sue and their neighbors who will never set foot in the field.  Or, as I see so often, go to the field so they are present while the adult manipulating the system shoots the animal for them while they are in camp!

you play by the rules you are dealt.

Do you take every tax deduction you can or tell your accountant to let some go because its unethical? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSR said:

you play by the rules you are dealt.

Do you take every tax deduction you can or tell your accountant to let some go because its unethical? 

The "rules" Laws do not include or allow party tags or transfers to adults; people break the law when they do this.  Transfers can be made to "your" underage children but not relatives’ underage children legally.  Which is what people are admitting to doing. Way different than using a tax break that is available as it is not illegal to use, bad analogy.  It also explains the large increases in applicants thereby reducing overall drawing odds which was the subject.  I hope all the people doing this get caught by G&F losing their privilege to hunt in Arizona forever!  Then those of us who are ethical in our pursuits will have a better chance of drawing tags.

5 minutes ago, aspenband said:

The "rules" Laws do not include or allow party tags or transfers to adults; people break the law when they do this.  Transfers can be made to "your" underage children but not relatives’ underage children legally.  Which is what people are admitting to doing. Way different than using a tax break that is available as it is not illegal to use, bad analogy.  It also explains the large increases in applicants thereby reducing overall drawing odds which was the subject.  I hope all the people doing this get caught by G&F losing their privilege to hunt in Arizona forever!  Then those of us who are ethical in our pursuits will have a better chance of drawing tags.

You are delusional. 

You know that you must to go into the game and fish office to have the tag transferred right? 

You don't just get to hand someone your tag.