Flatlander

Outdoor Writer

For those who have not heard, Tony Mandile aka Outdoor Writer on CWT passed away yesterday from complications related to COPD. Another AZ legend has returned to the dust.

Rest peacefully my friend.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

He was a wealth of information.

He is the reason I would kick my high school guidance counselor in the shin if I ever saw him again for not telling me that a person could make a living doing what Tony did. 

Having the awesome adventures/experiences then sharing them with the public in the written word.

A life well lived as far as I could tell.

Rest in peace.   

• Like 3

Really sad RIP

Sad to hear .Read his articles for many years. Good Guy ,didn't get the respect he deserved. RIP TONY..............................BOB!

• Like 1

Tony and I had been communicating back and forth the past few months. He drew a late rifle Unit 23 bull tag this year and knew his worsened physical condition was going to prevent him from getting out for that one last hunting trip.

After our talking back and forth, Tony felt he had finally found the right organization for his tag in Heroes Rising Outdoors. He wanted to be sure that his tag would be going to an Arizona veteran who had been disabled due to an actual combat related injury. I assured him that we'd make that happen. It hit me to the core when Tony told me he doubted he'd be here when the time for the hunt arrived. I hated to hear those words, but prepared myself for what might be.

For those of you in the younger generations, you really missed out on a special man who contributed greatly to the hunting fraternity through the years! Tony had accumulated a wealth of knowledge he shared through many decades of writing. He was direct in what he had to say, whose thoughts carried much merit.

You definitely will be missed, Tony! We were fortunate you were an Arizonan ...

Godspeed!

• Like 14
  • Love 1

Had a chance to meet him when I picked up a skeet thrower, he toured me around his place showing me the mounts and telling me a few stories about the hunts. Nice guy.. RIP

• Like 2