Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Archery Kills rolling in already

2 hours ago, bigorange said:

I’ve been wondering the same. Especially the southern units.

Southern units, a lot of coues in those units. Not too many coues kills with all this water everywhere. Thats my thoughts anyway

• Like 2

And bugs, heat, humidity, they hardly moving due to feed, hard to see when up due to growth, etc...

Only the serious guys are out. Also, only the biggest bucks are close to finishing....

7 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

And bugs, heat, humidity, they hardly moving due to feed, hard to see when up due to growth, etc...

I hope some of that grass dies off by the first November hunt 

• Like 1

It'll be brown but it's waist high in lots of areas. I'm getting chiggers on my belly and fixing to go a 2 night backpack scout in this heat. I'm likely an idiot...

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

It'll be brown but it's waist high in lots of areas. I'm getting chiggers on my belly and fixing to go a 2 night backpack scout in this heat. I'm likely an idiot...

Wash your clothes in Sawyers.

43 minutes ago, creed said:

How many of you remember antler point restrictions that didn't work?

How far back was that?

2 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

How far back was that?

Waaaaaaay back! Supposedly too many spikes shot and left to rot.

34 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

It'll be brown but it's waist high in lots of areas. 

Yup.

I think the data shows it's a lot easier to kill a muley with a bow than a Coues when we are in wetter monsoon years that make sitting water not as effective.

Too many younger muley bucks will stand there and try to figure out what's going on - letting people fling arrows at distances they may or may not be competent at 

Muley bucks killed are either outpacing or matching the Coues killed in units where Mule Deer quotas are significantly lower and Mule Deer numbers overall are significantly lower. (For the most part)

1 hour ago, Big or Bust said:

Yep I got some chigger bites this week. Its been a few yrs since we had to deal with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creed said:

Waaaaaaay back! Supposedly too many spikes shot and left to rot.

Is that why point restrictions don't work??

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ForkHorn said:

Too many younger muley bucks will stand there and try to figure out what's going on

Watched a small 2x2 muley walk towards the truck as we were driving in to our spot. Seen him at 100yds. and he walked to within 50yds.

3 hours ago, Big or Bust said:

Only the serious guys are out. Also, only the biggest bucks are close to finishing....

Hard to see rattlers when pushing through the weeds and grass.  Not to mention finding a spot to sit down and glass.  No thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForkHorn said:

I think the data shows it's a lot easier to kill a muley with a bow than a Coues when we are in wetter monsoon years that make sitting water not as effective.

Too many younger muley bucks will stand there and try to figure out what's going on - letting people fling arrows at distances they may or may not be competent at 

Muley bucks killed are either outpacing or matching the Coues killed in units where Mule Deer quotas are significantly lower and Mule Deer numbers overall are significantly lower. (For the most part)

Younger Muleys are just plain easier to kill anyhow. Guy I talked to yesterday was up camping near Big Lake a few weeks ago and the kids in the camp 50 yards from them were feeding 2 or 3 small bucks tortillas. Then apparently they all got a big kick out of it when one of the kids took a dirty paper plate and handed it to one of the buck and he took it. If this is true, no wonder why so many of these little guys are being whacked! Been fed and tamed all summer by idiots!