Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Rivers are Running!! Fill them lakes up

6 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

Didn't know that lake existed until I saw a fb post about it. Is it true all that water is basically wasted because it's full of pesticides? 

Yes, I think it's true.  At least true as of the last time the lake filled that much and levels of pesticides were measured almost 20 years ago (according to Wikipedia, which of course you always have to take with a grain of salt...).  Also seems like the water level will recede fairly quickly, if history repeats itself.

All that being said, it is definitely another indicator of what a great overall water season we've had here in AZ!!! 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I haven't heard of that. How did pesticide get into there?

Pesticides had apparently built-up over time in the farmlands along the river, and then were washed in and concentrated in Painted Rock when it filled in 2005.   Wasn't like a train tipped over or something like that.....   More a product of usage over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteBuffalo said:

Painted Rock Dam

It is currently holding almost as much water as Bartlett and Horseshoe combined.

image001[34644]_1342388503599634.png

That Gila River absolutely amazes me the country it runs through and then can be so dang dry....I remember as a kid fishing the Gila on the east side of Virden, NM 

16 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

That Gila River absolutely amazes me the country it runs through and then can be so dang dry....I remember as a kid fishing the Gila on the east side of Virden, NM 

Caught some really nice bass in Gila below Painted Rock in the 80's.

• Like 2

Alot of water coming out of horseshoe. 

20230416_100816.jpg

20230416_104441.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 2

It hasn't been safe to eat fish out of Painted Rock that I know of going back to the 70's when I moved here. There is a lot of farm property south of the Gila. Paloma alone stretches for miles and miles and miles.

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

I know that's at horseshoe but where exactly can I go under the dam like that? Looks pretty cool!

At Horseshoe 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, stanley said:

Just drive to Horseshoe dang, Billy!   There’s a trail/walkway that will take you right across it. 👍🏻

To me that doesn't look safe. I'll pass.

Caught a few this weekend… so much water now the fish are scattered everywhere. This one was Sunday morning very light tapppy tap tap…she was spawning and went right back.

7C00E676-62F2-4968-AE96-92734A976187.jpeg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, 25-06 said:

To me that doesn't look safe. I'll pass.

It is safe as long as the dam doesn't fail. It was really cool actually, I highly recommend it if you can get out there soon. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stanley said:

Yes, I think it's true.  At least true as of the last time the lake filled that much and levels of pesticides were measured almost 20 years ago (according to Wikipedia, which of course you always have to take with a grain of salt...).  Also seems like the water level will recede fairly quickly, if history repeats itself.

All that being said, it is definitely another indicator of what a great overall water season we've had here in AZ!!! 👍

Yes it is true .... been that way for a while