Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Rivers are Running!! Fill them lakes up

It looks like San Carlos has around 80’ of water at the dam now. It’s risen to the highest level in a number of years. Has anyone heard anything about possibly stocking it again? I really miss fishing that lake. 

3 hours ago, mc68 said:

It looks like San Carlos has around 80’ of water at the dam now. It’s risen to the highest level in a number of years. Has anyone heard anything about possibly stocking it again? I really miss fishing that lake. 

Stocking isn't needed. The lake just needs to keep water for 18 months and it is full of fish.

Unfortunately, it was just empty this past summer. Hopes to spring 2024.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Stocking isn't needed. The lake just needs to keep water for 18 months and it if full of fish.

Unfortunately, it was just empty this past summer. Hopes to spring 2024.

I believe when they electroshocked the little water that was in the lake this last spring, only Gizzard Shad were found. maybe ApacheDan could comment, I believe he was involved. No Game Fish were found.

22 minutes ago, AZLance said:

I believe when they electroshocked the little water that was in the lake this last spring, only Gizzard Shad were found. maybe ApacheDan could comment, I believe he was involved. No Game Fish were found.

Right, but the lake didn't hold a pool for 2 consecutive spawning seasons before that either.

• Like 1

Plenty of stocking planned this year for San Carlos as we'll hold over to spring 2024 like we did 2017-18. We got to 32% that time (2017) and spring '18 was excellent for crappie.

We're currently leveling off at just over 40%.

Plan to get out and survey fairly soon here.

DAN

20230131_160229.jpg

20230131_160602.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow! 1

Good stuff!

@Apache7mm, any word from the hydrologists regarding what the western NM snowpack might hold?  Curious how much higher they expect it to rise from spring runoff. 

Not sure about NM predictions but we haven't had much contribution from the Gila so far which is surprising. Most of this last surge was all from the San Carlos River and its tributaries. 

When this thread started we too were having some incredible flows all across the Rez which I've never seen before. 

DAN

20230117_075759.jpg

20230117_140307.jpg

20230117_093936.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Love to see this.  Hope we can get another good smow storm or two in the next month.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Apache7mm said:

Not sure about NM predictions but we haven't had much contribution from the Gila so far which is surprising. Most of this last surge was all from the San Carlos River and its tributaries. 

When this thread started we too were having some incredible flows all across the Rez which I've never seen before. 

DAN

20230117_075759.jpg

20230117_140307.jpg

20230117_093936.jpg

So can I make it to Point of Pines :) looks great!!!

16 hours ago, Apache7mm said:

.. like we did 2017-18. We got to 32% that time (2017) and spring '18 was excellent for crappie.

Indeed it was. Thanks for the info and pictures. 

There isn't much left to melt in the Upper Gila - San Carlos Reservoir but it is surely primed and ready for more runoff.

20230201_144359.thumb.jpg.20f0f72de4bcb68266a28574bb7781a0.jpg

The Mogollons in NM are still packed nicely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I didn’t do very good in 18 from the bank. I went twice that year and the water was dropping like 2 feet a day. 16 and 17 were nice though. 

No dig but Standman killed it in '18 if I remember.. granted that guy kills lots of things. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

No dig but Standman killed it in '18 if I remember.. granted that guy kills lots of things. 

@standman were you fishing from the bank in 2018? I’m sure someone did good from the bank that year, wasn’t me though. @CouesPursuitI don’t fish until standman tells me to tbh. 

I remember that year everyone was talking about giant Alamo crappie.