Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Rivers are Running!! Fill them lakes up

29 minutes ago, stanley said:

No new news scoop or anything, but a little more info on the overall winter precipitation picture for this year.

Good stuff!

'Weather chaos' brings enough snow to fill Verde River reservoirs, ease drought conditions (yahoo.com)

Roosevelt is at 83% so I would suspect there will be some releases from Stewart Mountain Dam in the Spring.

32 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Roosevelt is at 83% so I would suspect there will be some releases from Stewart Mountain Dam in the Spring.

Releases will be coming from the Verde system long before the Salt, where spill will be minimal in comparison, if any.

The Verde watershed has 600-700k acre-feet of water stored in current snow water equivalent models before this current weather system and there is 64,426 AF of storage available, per SRP's Daily Water Report.

The Salt has 525-575k AF of SWE stored with 300,443 AF available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

Releases will be coming from the Verde system long before the Salt, where spill will be minimal in comparison, if any.

The Verde watershed has 600-700k acre-feet of water stored in current snow water equivalent models before this current weather system and there is 64,426 AF of storage available, per SRP's Daily Water Report.

Well I guess it's a good thing that they are clearing out all the undergrowth in the river bottom below Tempe Town Lake.

9 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

What’s your source for estimated SWE storage for each basin?  Asking because I want to know, not to challenge.  

Even based on those estimates the Salt side would need to spill roughly the entire storage capacity of both Verde lakes… (the sediment trap, and Bartlett).  Just sayin…

7 hours ago, MattMan said:

What’s your source for estimated SWE storage for each basin?  Asking because I want to know, not to challenge.  

Even based on those estimates the Salt side would need to spill roughly the entire storage capacity of both Verde lakes… (the sediment trap, and Bartlett).  Just sayin…

Right on. SNODAS and SWANN.

https://nsidc.org/data/g02158/versions/1

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017AGUFM.C43B..01B/abstract

https://climate.arizona.edu/snowview/

Unless I misunderstood your point-

By numbers you are correct, but only a fraction of water stored in snow makes it to the reservoir. With many others involved, temperature specifically makes a huge variable to the speed of snowmelt and permeability.

One big warm rain on a watershed with that much snow to melt is where winter runoff becomes torrential. A cooler watershed with little or no spring rain melts slow and long, and allows water operations much more time and flexibility to handle it.

It it tough to predict the future but the Verde has been destined to spill for 6-8 weeks. Roosevelt is just recently modeled to fill, if barely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

When I see pile ups on bad roads like this I gotta wonder........would this happen if people just slowed down??? 

Love seeing all the snow!!!!

You are correct. If people slow down you wouldn't see wrecks.  Guy's in 4 Wheel Drives think they can go anywhere, Wrong . I learned alot about safety in 10 years of driving Semi. You learn to respect the Vehicle. Now no matter what i drive I drive for the conditions. If someone thinks I'M  going to slow too bad. Be safe all ,Slow down, in rain too.....................................BOB!

• Like 3