Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Camping etiquette ( what's wrong with people ? )

depending on the size of the camping area - there are some areas one has to accept others will camp near by - for the smaller camps that can fit 1-2 "camps"- best advice-set up your camp, place pop up shades not immediately by your RV/Camper or tent , setup a another tent further away where the other camp could fit-  park vehicle(s) to give space...

I have had people literally camp 20 feet from my trailer - if they are noisy at night - I am equally noisey at 5 in the morning (and all day) nothing sober's one up like my vehicle panic horn going off at 5am , generator on - generator off, music etc. and keeping them up all day 😀

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Funny everyone  bashes California  .I moved from there almost  20 years ago now . And we never had this issue  when we went  camping.  They did have a pass you'd have to buy for some  area's  but that was it. Camped mostly  in Central  and Southern  California.  Not all California  is Brandon f- Ed up. Just Central and most of the north  part of the state . The Southern parts and parts of Central  up to just before  San Fran are dedicated  red 

Yeah I’ve got a bunch of family in so cal. All very red and not even a thought of leaving the place they grew up in. I bought and trailered a vehicle back from just outside LA a couple months ago and I don’t really see myself going back anytime soon just because of how congested it’s gotten but everyone I met that couple days were super friendly. I get the same feeling when I have to travel to the the greater Phoenix area. Sad

9 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Problem is camping isn’t camping anymore. So many want to pull their $80k fifth wheel with $100k truck outfitted with everything that’s in their home and then bitch they can’t get away from crowds. Take a 4x4 with the bare essentials and find the nastiest road that most people these days won’t go down (at least with a truck) and you’ll get away from the crowds 

I never dropped the big money on a deluxe set-up (too cheap and no interest), but I did own a pop-up about 20 years ago.  Had it for a few years and it was nice.  Ended-up realizing that when we were out camping we mainly spent vast majority of our time outside anyway, though.   One day about 15+ years ago I sold it for a little money, then went strait to Cabela's and bought an Alaknak, good cots, sleeping bags, Camp Chef, etc. for the kids and I.   That set-up served me well for a VERY long time.    Kids grown and on their own, so the Alaknak usually stays home now (Slumberjack cot under the stars is my preferred sleeping set-up, now... ;) ).

Anyway, I guess everyone enjoys the outdoors however they want.   To each their own. 👍

• Like 6

If you want to camp or hunt with females you might as well plan on buying a trailer otherwise they aren't coming.  I have a tent.

Some wise man needs to write a book about woman.  Should be titled "Before and After Marriage".  Give it to every young man for their 18th B-day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I never dropped the big money on a deluxe set-up (too cheap and no interest), but I did own a pop-up about 20 years ago.  Had it for a few years and it was nice.  Ended-up realizing that when we were out camping we mainly spent vast majority of our time outside anyway, though.   One day about 15+ years ago I sold it for a little money, then went strait to Cabela's and bought an Alaknak, good cots, sleeping bags, Camp Chef, etc. for the kids and I.   That set-up served me well for a VERY long time.    Kids grown and on their own, so the Alaknak usually stays home now (Slumberjack cot under the stars is my preferred sleeping set-up, now... ;) ).

Anyway, I guess everyone enjoys the outdoors however they want.   To each their own. 👍

That’s right. I’ve got those friends who seek out the crowds when camping. To each their own. I’m definitely 180 opposite, I recently sold my bass boat because I don’t like having to dodge jet skiers and other partiers with no courtesy. Now Apache is going to be ruined too! Yes I’ll have some cheese!

• Haha 1

People have just become AHoles.  I have never had an experience of that particular nature, but I have had guys roll up on me hunting and try to "claim" a spot was theirs because they "had a tree stand in the area".  I just remind them that the forest is 1st come 1st served, and that if they want the spot they need to be there before anyone else.  I also remind them that things "left in the forest" are "abandoned" and fair game for removal (though I myself would never do that).  

Sounds to me like that guy was in need of an "attitude ajustment".  Wonder how he would have responded to you casually dialing 911 to report "threatening and menacing".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

It's hard to get away from  the toy hauler  or trailer with  the wife  and kids. Once you  get them in a trailer  it's usually  all over for tent camping.  They like the water on tap and ac and a soft bed. Not to mention  the hot shower  and toilet  that you don't  have to worry  about some guy with  a spotting  scope digiscoping you taking a dump.

Hey I like all that stuff too…hard to go back to tent camping. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, knothead said:

If you want to camp or hunt with females you might as well plan on buying a trailer otherwise they aren't coming.  I have a tent.

Some wise man needs to write a book about woman.  Should be titled "Before and After Marriage".  Give it to every young man for their 18th B-day.

image.png.25323cf95f277a57d6e4e23ad60fea8b.png

If they come in after you, make it look like they camped in the area all of you take care of business in...

When the chance comes, put a roll of toilet paper on a stick close, and half buried TP sticking out of the ground.

Then just watch.  

Did this on an elk hunt where people were parking in our camp with about 100 yards of good parking before our camp.

It was hilarious to hear the driver and passenger go back and forth about parking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Funny everyone  bashes California  .I moved from there almost  20 years ago now . And we never had this issue  when we went  camping.  They did have a pass you'd have to buy for some  area's  but that was it. Camped mostly  in Central  and Southern  California.  Not all California  is Brandon f- Ed up. Just Central and most of the north  part of the state . The Southern parts and parts of Central  up to just before  San Fran are dedicated  red 

You have to buy a pass to go camping in CA? Like with individual spots to park in? I think the op is talking about national forest random campsites 

1 hour ago, Titanium700 said:

Oh my!!!!!

lol. 
what a perv. 

Crazy Joe.  Yeah, that's our commander in chief....

That kid is gonna need therapy.