Sign in to follow this  
azphil

Opinions

My 16 yo  grandson has a youth cow elk hunt next month. I'm undecided on having him use a 243 Win with 100 gr bullets, which he shoots well or having him use a 30/06 with 150 gr bullets. He has never shot the 06. We have some range time coming up this weekend.

.243 if under 200 yards. But if he can handle the 30-06 that's a better choice. Good luck to him on his hunt.

• Like 2

How big is he? What ranges? recoil sensitive? 

I agree with DUG though, either will do it. Apt to lean to what he’s more comfortable with  

• Like 1

I'd see how he does with the 30-06. If he handles it well then go with it. Good Luck to him!

30.06 is the better solution unless the recoil is not manageable,  .243 shot needs to be well executed.

16? 30.06

How much does the rifle weigh? Remington makes a 125gr Core-Lokt that would be a good load to get him used to the added recoil of the 06. Make it a long range session, shoot a box through the 243 with half of the box off the bench the other half standing, then shoot half a box of 06 standing and the rest off the bench with the target at 50 yards.

Like others said the 06, BUT….don’t fear the .243’s abilities with a good bullet. 
when my son had his first bull tag all he wanted to use was his .243 so I loaded him up some 100 grain partitions and low and behold he slew a young bull at 137 yds with one shot.  The bull dropped on the spot and the bullet blew on through. 
And he wasn’t exactly a tiny bull body wise. 
IMG-2428.png

• Like 7

If you use the 243 use Nosler Partitions and keep the range below 250yrds. 

• Like 1

The 243 will  do but the 06 is definitely  better  . You can try some hornady lite recoil rounds in the 06 . It will be a little  more bullet  weight  and a bigger dia than the 243 . Get him use to the 06 with  the lite rounds for bench work  and sight in and then run the 150s to hunt . Most hunters don't  feel or hear the shot when shooting  at a animal. If he's  still  not comfortable  I've got a 6.5 Creedmoor  with a break on it or a 300wm with a break that shoots just as soft as the 243 I'd lend you for his hunt.

• Like 2

Biggest question!!!! Does the 06 have a muzzle break? If not I would go the 243 route. My 10 year old shoots my 06 with a break all day long. Without it, it's gonna kick like a mule. If you have him try the 06 first he might create a fear in pulling the trigger causing bad shot placement. Just my 2 cents!

• Like 4

Shot placement is critical in a lower caliber gun, especially on an elk.  If he were to get buck fever when he's trying to hold steady on an animal, (it can hit anybody, and you can't practice shooting with buck fever) you can see all the steady practice go out the window.  I would recommend the 06 for the first time just to have the extra punch for a less than perfect hit on a live hunt.  Just my 2 cents.  I agree with the muzzle break too, really helps.  Hope he has a great hunt and you can set the hook for life!

• Like 3