Code3

Bull 2023 3A3C success

Today will be a grateful chore of deboning my first elk, & done with a bow. Lots of time spent prepping for this hunt: Road knowledge, locating concentrated areas of bugles at wee hours of AM, water holes, benches, & how bulls use the line of No Return (Rez border) to evade pursuit. This was a TUFF hunt; mostly due to my learning curve, but locals tell me this was the slowest they have seen in yrs. Seemed like all 125 tag holders brought 5 buddies in the forest, so many dudes buzzing around and sitting water! It was hot, smokey, high winds, & no cows to be seen/heard. I only saw 1 bull killed in the back of a truck. No real rutting activity until day 12!?! Bulls actively bugles from day 1 &  called back to challenge bugles… but no interest in cow calls. I don’t call often. I actually don’t like to call until the last 150yrd—for any game. It was obvious when other hunters were near due to cow calls &  the over frequency of use. I had my share of “could have been done”, like the 6x6 on Day 2 (narrow shooting lane and killed a tree at 63yrd). My caller granted me 8 days, then returned to the real world. I kept grinding. Hunt sun up to sun down. Trying different areas, different times of AM, different approaches. Even though bugles occurred every day, some days went by without seeing a bull. Then, things changed on day 12. Responsive bulls, yet still no cows (I guess I never found them). Bulls engaging to challenge calls & kept around with soft cow calls. I had activity all day long. I bumped a bull 5:30pm when pursuing his bugle. It ran 73yrd up hill. A scraggly tree 8’ in front of me partially broke up my figure. Quickly counted left side: G4, G5, G6=thinking this was a 6x6. Face to face we stared for “eternity”. He barked several times. Calmed him with meek cow calls. His caution factor overrode desire to breed and he slowly turned to walk away. Ranged at 83yrd, pulled back, broadside, WHACK, punched him with 100gr G5 Montec. Then heard a crash, but not sure of what was really happening due to topo incline changes. Found blood at impact site. Found bull 30yrd away, face down into a rotting tree on a steep slope. Ecstatic rush of achievement! Antlers were actually 5x6 with an earlier broken right G1, but I didn’t care! It was a late night. Had an awesome friend drive up to help pack out. While not a monster, he will be just fine as a memory to the hunt’s high/lows resting over the cabin’s fireplace. Took him to Authentic Taxidermy/Troy Smith yesterday; it was a haul & I passed several taxidermist en route, but Troy did great work on my pronghorn. History has shown me—go with the proven & you won’t regret it. Troy asked if I wanted G1 tine fixed… “Nope, keep him just as I found him”.🏹

Resized_20230926_180504_148173382722901.jpeg

• Like 42

Nice work  way to keep  after it . I did the same  thing  on my first bull he broke  the fork on one side and given the option  to have it fixed I said the same  . Keep  it how I shot it.  Congratulations 

Congratulations on a great bull , and thanks for sharing. Persistence , and determination are huge factor in someone’s success. Way to grind it out .

Congratulations, what a great job on a long, difficult hunt.

it has been a tough hunt in 3a3c this year. One of the worst I've ever seen. Lots of horses and almost no cows. Very concerning. You did well. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Congratulations, what a great job on a long, difficult hunt.

it has been a tough hunt in 3a3c this year. One of the worst I've ever seen. Lots of horses and almost no cows. Very concerning. You did well. 

Yup, more horses than a Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo. When will they allow thinning of the herd like North Rim Buffalo? 😂 Those prolific horses are like a riding lawn mower, eating everything in it’s path. 

• Like 4

Well done congrats on the nice bull