i learned never to use steel shot on doves.

was blowing right through them, puff of feathers and everything and they kept flying.

i did manage to put a few on the ground, but had to finish them off when i got to them.

i wanted to make the switch from lead to steel for health reasons, but i can see that's not gonna work.

Limited this evening in about 90 minutes. Saw a few thousand birds during the evening hunt. Even had a sheriff stop us concerned we were not hunting in a legal area. Very nice about it though. Called it in and realized we were good to go. One white wing the rest were mourning dove. Lots of birds everywhere.

• Like 1

Here is a pic shared our the CW.com facebook page by Gerrad.....he says the kids are his "little retrievers" LOL!

That's an Awesome pic!

There was about 200 vehicles down carefree hwy opening morning, i wonder how they did....

probably just as bad. i heard a lot of shooting till about 7, then it completely died down. i stay away from the carefree stretch, way too many dang people in there

I was at Topock marsh for a cast and blast. The dove never showed up but we did manage to catch around 30 frog fish. Only shot 1 dove.

• Like 1

My first ever dove hunt yesterday went well. Got 6 mourning and 1 ww in the AM and got another 8 mournings in the PM. I even cooked up the AM catch for my family for lunch to see how we like the taste of dove. Since we liked the taste, I went ahead with the PM hunt...otherwise my dove hunting career would have been short and sweet. The PM dove breasts are now in the freezer waiting for more to accompany them for a later dove feast.

Today's hunt wasn't as successful in terms of # of doves harvested. I was able to shoot a total of 4 shells and missed on all 4. I wasn't able to get any today. And from the other hunters I spoke with, it was slow for them as well.

Planning on another outing this Saturday. Where are all the Eurasians????

Here are a few pics of yesterday's hunt. I even found a knife while tracking down one of my downed birds

post-12541-0-55610100-1409688908_thumb.jpg

post-12541-0-88688500-1409689006_thumb.jpg

post-12541-0-68287700-1409689034_thumb.jpg

Was done by 620am today

Was that Cuz you limitted out or they weren't flying

He limited out. I was standing right next to him on the other side of the tree. Birds all flew his direction. Took me until 8:15 to get my 15. 14 and 1 Eurasian...

Was done by 620am today

Was that Cuz you limitted out or they weren't flying

He limited out. I was standing right next to him on the other side of the tree. Birds all flew his direction. Took me until 8:15 to get my 15. 14 and 1 Eurasian...

Care to share what area you guys were in? Im at a loss this season...