Sign in to follow this  
Coach

How do you fight a bad mechanic?

Here's the deal, I have a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0 powerstroke. I'm fully aware of the types of issues this motor has, so please, let's not derail this. This has been a great truck for our family - it has around 119K miles. In the mornings, it starts great but had issues with acceleration for the first 1/2 mile or so. After some research, this is common - the cause is faulty/clogged injectors.

We took it to a shop that specializes in diesel engines and their first diagnosis was the EGR. $600 later same problem, so they actually test drove it and found that the 5,6 & 8 injectors were causing the issue. Another thousand dollars to replace the 6 & 8 injectors. So we go to pick it up and it literally would not start.

Now they are saying there is a leak in the high pressure system, probably caused by a bad gasket in the HPOP or STC failure. So they want another thousand dollars.

But when we drove it in there, we had a minor issue with lag in the morning. Now we're in $1600 and it won't even start up and they want another $1k, just to get it running again.

IMO, something they did caused the no start issue because that was never a problem before we took it in, so I'm not about to pay them another thousand bucks to fix a problem they obviously created.

What's the right way to go about holding them accountable for turning a small problem into a huge one?

You can take it to my father in law's shop. Central Car Care. 3rd st. & Dunlap.

6029977515. Ask for Paul. He will make sure your truck gets taken care of. Tell him Alex sent you. He has helped a few CWT members out with there vehicles.

Bummer to hear about the disservice you have received! Good luck!

Speak to the owner and let him know your expectations and try to agree in getting this resolved, I wouldn't talk to the manager, sales guy, or mechanic.

Second thing I would research and have a good lawyer on your side. Not necessarily hire one but know one in case this does get ugly.

Third if they don't want to do anything, then I would let them know your going to hire a lawyer.

Is the truck in your possession? If so, I would take it to a referred mechanic and get them to diagnose/repair the problem. You would then have a receipt showing that the original repairs by the questionable mechanic were not the problem, and have a paper trail / proof to help get your money back. The Better Business Bureau is worthless if the Auto shop is not a member. I'm not sure if any state agency regulates repair shops. A strongly worded letter from an attorney to the repair shop might cost around $300 -500 for initial consultation and letter. It sucks having to get lawyers involved.

Fight the good fight bro!

I really dislike shady mechanics. I had a transmission speed sensor go out. I took it in to get diagnosed, and they said it would take2-3 hours to fix and cost $300. I went to the auto parts store and bought the part for $20, and had it fixed in 10 minutes myself.

This guy just rebuilt the top end of my buddies 6.0l.

He is very happy with the work and the price seemed very fair.

https://m.facebook.com/DieselDermanatorLlc?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl&_rdr

Or Pro Diesel is good too.

Harley

In my line of work its rare to see a happy customer. People don't like bringing their vehicles in for regular service and if their vehicle is broke down or acting up, we are the devil out to get them!! Yes it costs money if you can't do it yourself. We have book times and standard labor rates. We have to make a living too. For the most part they aren't out to get you. 7 out of ten times when something happens like it did to you, it's just coincidence, replace one part another fails, and so on. Most of us feel like crap when that happens because we know the customer will think we're trying to pull a fast one and screw them, but it honestly happens that way more than people care to think. The other 3 times, you actually getting screwed!! And it gives all of us a bad name. Like mentioned earlier, talk to the main boss/owner. In my experience if you complain enough (even if it's not our fault) you'll get it free or cheap.

The same way you fight anyone else. . . Yell "I'm a hemophiliac!" And then kick him in the goods!

Stole my thunder, Muledeerarea33,

Coach, please consider this may be a coincidence. Your truck sounds like the HPOP is going out. Sometimes a dying HPOP goes out fast, sometimes they linger and show up on your codes as bad injectors because the oil psi to the injectors is diminished and the injectors start to shut down as the HPOP fails.

Coach get out of it while you can. These engines all suffer pre-mechanical failure of one or all systems including but not limited to valve train, emissions equipment, fuel system, rotating assembly, head gasket failure the list goes on and on. Let's be honest thank God ford doesn't make airplanes. They would never make it in the aerospace world. Every vehicle has it's problems but the majority experience them at the end of the engines service life not in the beginning or middle. The HEUI injection system is a terrible design, and should've been scrapped off the International/Navistar table at the start of it's conception. I'm not a "fanboy" of any type I look at service life expectancy/per maintance expenditure required and the 6.0 doesn't make the cut.

I have heard the 6.0 was designed to power generators, and run a constant rpm. Wrong or right they are junk, and the only fix is a cummins.

• Like 2

They should just bring back the 7.3,easily the best light truck diesel motor ever.the 6.0s,in my opinion,arentvas bad as they're made out to be,except the 2004s, I'd still take one over a duramax but not over a cummins

Fuel injection control module. Mine went out on me out in the sticks on a elk hunt years ago. Got it towed out and traded that POS truck in.

My son-in-law is a mechanic at Rodeo Ford. I promise you he is reliable, honest, and very well trained. If you want his name, let me know. He might not tell you what you want to hear, but he will tell you the truth. And he is a dang fine mechanic, and a fantastic person (the reason he is still alive and now married to my daughter).

• Like 2

My son-in-law is a mechanic at Rodeo Ford. I promise you he is reliable, honest, and very well trained. If you want his name, let me know. He might not tell you what you want to hear, but he will tell you the truth. And he is a dang fine mechanic, and a fantastic person (the reason he is still alive and now married to my daughter).

There you go. I'd cut your losses and get the truck out of there.

In my line of work its rare to see a happy customer. People don't like bringing their vehicles in for regular service and if their vehicle is broke down or acting up, we are the devil out to get them!! Yes it costs money if you can't do it yourself. We have book times and standard labor rates. We have to make a living too. For the most part they aren't out to get you. 7 out of ten times when something happens like it did to you, it's just coincidence, replace one part another fails, and so on. Most of us feel like crap when that happens because we know the customer will think we're trying to pull a fast one and screw them, but it honestly happens that way more than people care to think. The other 3 times, you actually getting screwed!! And it gives all of us a bad name. Like mentioned earlier, talk to the main boss/owner. In my experience if you complain enough (even if it's not our fault) you'll get it free or cheap.

exactly! thats why i dont do side jobs or work for a place that has "customers"

no thanks.

i hope you get your truck fixed. you wouldnt believe how many times you fix one thing and something else pops up. i used to think the odds were impossible but i learned. not saying that they arent trying to screw you, its possible. if youre gonna have work done take it to a place that has a good rep and that has experience with your vehicle. price should never be the main deciding factor IMO.