lancetkenyon

7mm Rem Mag Memorial Build

My dad always used to say "this was my great great grandpas hammer, it's only had 7 new handles and 3 new heads".

Sorry I'm another vote for leaving it as is. Sweet looking build though! My dad bought me a Winchester model 70 classic sporter (wood/blued) in 7mm STWfor my 12th bday in 1995. It's killed an absolute pile of eastern white tails (50+) a few mule deer and coues, 3 oryx, Barbary sheep, a bunch of elk, and a moose or two. I plan to use it as my go to gun for my whole hunting career. The barrel is about washed out so I know that's gonna have to be changed out but I've kept everything else stock. I had a gunsmith glass the entire innards of the stock and that helped a ton. Kept the same look on the outside but settled down the accuracy issues I was having with shifting weather. Anyhow you could look into something like that? It wouldn't be as accurate as the build you're planning but it'd still look like grandpas rifle when you pass it to your kids and they to theirs. Just my 2 cents. Whatever you do with it you will think of him every time you kill something with it!

• Like 1

Nice build Lance. I am sure he will be proud. It probably isn't the route I would have gone but do it how you think he would want it and you will use it.

Getting used is the key. The gun that sits in the safe doesn't create memories.

• Like 2

I hope you at the least have a picture of the original for some if us old school wood stock guys? Can't wait to see an elk on the ground for you.

• Like 1

I have a crap ton of 7mm Rem mag brass if you need more. All different head stamps.

Bruno's had some h1000 in stock yesterday too if you need more. I will have a 8lber soon too if you need a.couple lbs

Harley, I am good for H1000, but if you have some Winchester headstamped 7RM brass, I would buy some from you.

Great build so far Lance! I love your build stories.....

Personally I love the Nightforce scopes, but I have only been able to afford 1 so far. I do have several Vortex PST scopes. I really love them. I think they are the best scope in that price range. Plus the warranty Vortex provides is amazing! What realy sold me on them is the etched crosshairs. My eyes love them. I've had issues with other crosshairs becoming blurry or fuzzy. So far I've had zero issue with the PST.

Adam