creed_az_88

Stepped Over to the Dark Side

I'm a certified coues junkie through and through. There's not an ounce of me that doesn't think about big coues bucks all year long. There is and has been a dark side in me lurking for awhile however. I spend a few days each year looking for a big desert mule deer to shoot with my Bow. I've screwed up on a few giants over the years, but for the most part the coues bug has really prevented me from putting in the necessary time needed to harvest a bottom dwelling desert buck with my Bow. I've always told myself that it would take something special of a mule deer to make me end my coues season. I may have lowered my standards just a bit this season but my archery affair with a mule deer has finally come to be. I'm not one to Chase numbers, so Im ok knowing that I've walked away from bucks in the past that would stretch the tape more than this guy, but I couldn't get past the build on this deer so I decided to stalk him. I found him right before dark the day prior and left him be. At sunup the next day my uncle and I found him about 400 yards from where him and his does were the night before. They had moved much closer to a deep wash so I used that wash as cover to slip in close. They fed and paralleled the wash for a ways about 200 yards away from it so I came out of the wash where I thought I might have a chance at intercepting them as they fed by. I crawled for a ways and ran into a small 3x3. We stared at each other for a bit and then I kept crawling. He turned and trotted towards the main group of deer so I hurried to get to where I wanted to be. As I crawled around a bush I could see a few does standing around looking back towards the small buck. They eventually settled down and began to feed to my right. I ranged the first doe as she walked through and stopped. 67 yards. I adjusted my sight, and waited. The next deer was a fawn, and the deer directly behind the fawn was the deer that I had spent the last 11 months practicing for. I came to full draw as he stopped when he got to the back of the lead doe. As I settled the pin I began to shake uncontrollably. I almost made the same crucial mistake that I've made in the past on much larger deer than this and punched the trigger as it danced around in all directions. I caught myself before I sent an arrow over his back or somewhere much worse and let my Bow down. The deer had no idea I was there and didn't catch the movement so I redrew. I did what I could to regain my composure and settle my pin on his side. My shaking had subdued enough for me to touch it off comfortably. I watched my arrow sink into his ribs and saw blood immediately as he ran off. I stood up and got to watch him do the death wobble and tip over about 70 yards later. I've had time to let it all sink in now and I won't lie, I'm having a little coues hunter's remorse. Im not sure if I can wait another year to chase some coues bucks. But, Although it may be short lived, I won't soon forget my step into the dark side. I do actually have a great deal of respect for these old desert mule deer bucks. They find a way to grow old in some pretty harsh conditions. My hats off to all of you that are able to beat the eyes and ears of these mule deer bucks and the does they surround themselves with come this time of year. Thanks for reading.

Creed

post-256-0-15334400-1483748254_thumb.jpg

• Like 29

Bad enough you killed the guy, but teasing him by tugging on his big floppy muley ears is uncalled for. Lol

Great wide buck with a bow!

• Like 2

Looks like the twin of one I saw a couple of years ago. Great buck. Anybody know what it would score, approximately? Not too up on Mule Deer. Would this be 170?

• Like 1

Awesome buck! I hunt rifle coues and archery mule's. Ill be out tomorrow morning chasing some mules.

• Like 1