tjhunt2

Fishing Big Lake

I have a younger brother who has just taken full custody of his three grand kids. Twin girls of 7 years and my nephew of 10 years of age. They have never fished and this will be their first fishing trip. Heading for Big Lake a few days before Memorial Day. I"m staying for 11 days but while the kids are there I will be concentrating on trying to teach them to catch some trout. I know a boat is better but it's going to be shore fishing this trip. Just wondering what would be the best bait to use. Most of my fishing has been fly fishing and it's just been to long since I fished from the shore. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

ps.....Good luck to everyone on the draw.

TJ

Rainbow power bait, small hook, no leader, small split shot 18" above the hook

• Like 3

Rainbows on power bait, cuts throats and Brooke's on worms. It prob slowing down a little, but that works for me

• Like 1

Holdovers are fat 1.5-2# from last weekend. Had retired guys say they caught limits when PHX was 108*. Slowed with snow storm. Should be good by MD. Worms on bobber or worm with air off bottom. Good luck.

post-4343-0-76221600-1495104908_thumb.jpg

post-4343-0-47523400-1495104993_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for all the information and advice. I'll let you know how the kids and we do. Have a safe and fun Memorial Day everyone. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Like these guys have said i tend to stick with worms on the bottom or Rainbow and Salmon Peach colored powerbait on a small hook with a 1/8oz slip sinker. I tut the slip sinker on the line, tie a small barrel swivel on the line and then use a 4lb fourocarbon leader anywhere from 18-24". I always start with 24" and work my way to a shorter leader if need be, easier to start that way because you can just trim it down as you go. I prefer this method for sure when the fishing is a little tough and they are not hitting the bait very hard. using a slip sinker over a split shot can help when a finicky fish picks up the bait. Also cannot do wrong with panther martins and z-rays casted out deep and worked slowly back to shore just off the bottom.

Good luck and have fun

• Like 1

^^what he said. I would never use a bobber at big lake. I would think with the current there it would be really hard to keep it in one place. Use a worm weight behind a small split shot about 18" from the hook. I always catch my best fish there with a nightcrawler and a salmon egg. Power bait can work well too rigged the same way

• Like 1

Like these guys have said i tend to stick with worms on the bottom or Rainbow and Salmon Peach colored powerbait on a small hook with a 1/8oz slip sinker. I tut the slip sinker on the line, tie a small barrel swivel on the line and then use a 4lb fourocarbon leader anywhere from 18-24". I always start with 24" and work my way to a shorter leader if need be, easier to start that way because you can just trim it down as you go. I prefer this method for sure when the fishing is a little tough and they are not hitting the bait very hard. using a slip sinker over a split shot can help when a finicky fish picks up the bait. Also cannot do wrong with panther martins and z-rays casted out deep and worked slowly back to shore just off the bottom.

Good luck and have fun

Thanks for the tip. :)

TJ

Fished from a boat there last year, step daughter kicked all our buts with two nice Rainbows on power bait.

• Like 1

worms on the bottom - but do not forget to get a worm blower --

see how long it takes for someone to get weird with that !?

Good luck and have fun

Even better is to use a carolina keeper. You can adjust the height of your bait without pinching your line.

Plus with no weight directly on the line if a fish even farts on it you can feel it....

A BB size split shot tiny hook with some powerbait 2-4lb test. Anything else is over complicating it lol. I like the green power eggs

I'd rather go walleye fishing 😉😄

Brian

• Like 2