Sign in to follow this  
ofdscooby

Watch those replaceable blades knives

I'm just throwing this out there - when I was like 9 or 10 and got my first pocket knife, I was in the boy scouts. Had to go through a whole merit badge just to carry a knife and then had a card - thought it was called a "totenship" card. Googled it and can't find anything. Maybe a redneck term from our troup. Anyway, there were rules to using your knife - always cut away from yourself and others, always keep it clean and sharp. Break a rule, lose a corner of the card. Lose 3 and you lose your knife. Basically, if you got cut with your own knife, or took the chance of cutting someone else with it, you'd lose it, and a scout without a knife was like ... I'll let you fill in that blank.

No offense intended, but I have to say I'm REALLY surprised by the number of people cutting up their fingers and thumbs with these things. I know I've been in situations where the sun is setting fast and your adrenaline is pumping like crazy, but man - that's the time to really slow down. Getting sloppy with a sharp knife is never worth the rush you are in. I'm a firm believer that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one - until you start working too fast.

Just hoping you guys all keep it safe - it's all fun and games till someone loses a thumb, or punctures their femoral artery. Just sayin'

• Like 4

I'm just throwing this out there - when I was like 9 or 10 and got my first pocket knife, I was in the boy scouts. Had to go through a whole merit badge just to carry a knife and then had a card - thought it was called a "totenship" card. Googled it and can't find anything. Maybe a redneck term from our troup. Anyway, there were rules to using your knife - always cut away from yourself and others, always keep it clean and sharp. Break a rule, lose a corner of the card. Lose 3 and you lose your knife. Basically, if you got cut with your own knife, or took the chance of cutting someone else with it, you'd lose it, and a scout without a knife was like ... I'll let you fill in that blank.

No offense intended, but I have to say I'm REALLY surprised by the number of people cutting up their fingers and thumbs with these things. I know I've been in situations where the sun is setting fast and your adrenaline is pumping like crazy, but man - that's the time to really slow down. Getting sloppy with a sharp knife is never worth the rush you are in. I'm a firm believer that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one - until you start working too fast.

Just hoping you guys all keep it safe - it's all fun and games till someone loses a thumb, or punctures their femoral artery. Just sayin'

gutting and skinning a deer 2 days ago almost resulted in a finger lost. My hunting partner just bought a havolin or similar knife. He cut himself deep before it was done.

I guarantee you that my seven cuts and chunk of thumb missing on my daughter's elk were all because of that bolded statement in your post. I grew up cutting meat with my dad in the basement with extremely sharp, high-quality butcher's knives and accidents were rare. They happened, but it was rare. I was in a hurry to get that elk out before it got hot, knowing it was just me and my daughter a mile from the truck. I got sloppy from trying to rush to the pack out!

I like most of you have suffered my share of meet processing nicks and cuts from rushing through an animal. I see a couple of others have mentioned the cut proof gloves. I have mentioned them on a couple of other posts in the past and strongly recommend them. Obviously, nothing replaces slowing down and safe practices, but these have been MONEY for me. They are skin tight stretchy material, weigh under an ounce, take up virtually no room in my kill kit, are relatively cheap, and give me a lot of added grip. I've tested them using a brand new Havalon blade with a fair amount of pressure (I did not have my hands in the gloves) and there were no signs of cuts on the glove.

Also, to wash, I rinse and soak in soapy warm water and then throw them in the washing machine. Mine have been used on multiple animals and are still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015MGKX4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I like most of you have suffered my share of meet processing nicks and cuts from rushing through an animal. I see a couple of others have mentioned the cut proof gloves. I have mentioned them on a couple of other posts in the past and strongly recommend them. Obviously, nothing replaces slowing down and safe practices, but these have been MONEY for me. They are skin tight, weigh under an ounce, take up virtually no room in my kill kit, are relatively cheap, and give me a lot of added grip. I've tested them using a brand new Havalon blade with a fair amount of pressure (I did not have my hands in the gloves) and there were no signs of cuts on the glove.

Also, to wash, I rinse and soak in soapy warm water and then throw them in the washing machine. Mine have been used on multiple animals and are still going strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015MGKX4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it was you and CatfishKev that recommended them to me. I'll be getting a couple of pairs before our next hunt!

I was also surprised how many guys have cut themselves. This is a big eye opener for me. I also think rossislider had an old post I read about the gloves. They have been a godsend. And its great because after use I just toss them in the washing machine and they are good to go. I used to just glove the left hand and keep the right hand ungloved. Not with muliple people working on an animal though.

Everyone should probably have both gloves on. Had a buddy cut my finger once with a regular walmart knife. Only think that stopped it from going deeper was my fingernail. Had it been a havolan type I would not have been so lucky.

Yes there is a lesson in a this about cutting away from your self and also slowing down although I take my time for sure to me thats the best part, the hunt is almost over thats all I have left is quartering a deer and a couple pack outs then its off to the butcher and some cleanup. There is also another lesson in all this about not overdoing it. I was burning the candle at both ends I had a work trip that had me up early in Wisconsin Thursday morning for a flight home and I didnt sleep much that night then I turned around and packed up and left for the desert wear my pad popped and I had a second night of poor sleep. These tags make us push harder than we normally would. We have a week dont matter whats going on its go time and time to push and lay it all out, at least for me it is. Im a professional fireman for a living and thats all we talk about is situational awareness and fatigue. I screwed up I didnt recognize my fatigue levels and react properly. I should have gave up opening morning for a good night sleep but that drive to get to that peak, glass at first light,get that first and best opertunity. Man those tags those little pieces of paper will turn us into mad men and give you drive like nothing else at least that what it does for me. Stay frosty gents.

• Like 5

I like most of you have suffered my share of meet processing nicks and cuts from rushing through an animal. I see a couple of others have mentioned the cut proof gloves. I have mentioned them on a couple of other posts in the past and strongly recommend them. Obviously, nothing replaces slowing down and safe practices, but these have been MONEY for me. They are skin tight, weigh under an ounce, take up virtually no room in my kill kit, are relatively cheap, and give me a lot of added grip. I've tested them using a brand new Havalon blade with a fair amount of pressure (I did not have my hands in the gloves) and there were no signs of cuts on the glove.

I think it was you and CatfishKev that recommended them to me. I'll be getting a couple of pairs before our next hunt!

Just bought one. And when I get cut, it's while gutting, and having both hands in there trying to section it away from the ribcage. HATE that part.

Move the guts for the fish only. I did 2 cow elk this year on the ground. Took one hour start to finish for each. A real skinner and semi stiff boner. A retractable razor knife with break away blades does serve a purpose sometimes. But 4 inches of razor sharp scalpel is just stupid imo. I'm sure I've butchered more beef and hogs than most here and the same knives used for that are my field knives as well. Plenty of how to videos online. Javelina to buffalo its the same process.