Sign in to follow this  
ofdscooby

Watch those replaceable blades knives

Just wanted to take a minute to say be careful when skinning out your animal I shanked myself in the leg last week. It seems there are a lot of these stories going around and every time Ive used one of these things no matter how careful I am I at least skin a knuckle. This time it was much worse I sank a blade in my knee last friday morning and ruined the rest of my season. Im lucky to be here it could have been worse I could have hit an artery or not had any cell phone service. While sitting there on the desert floor I knew I wouldnt be able to get myself and the animal out by myself and I would need some help. I called the closest field office but they were closed so I called Game Thief and they hooked me up with an agent. I dropped him a pin and he said he would start working his way toward me. I sat there for a couple hours by myself I was able to get the head off and get some loose meat and a back Strap off. When the game warden got to me he had also brought a local farmer that had a Jeep which I was very thankful for. They loaded me and what was left of my deer in the Jeep and took me over to my truck. They helped me pack my truck and threw a couple quarters and the loosed meat in my cooler and I headed for the hospital. It took me about 40 minutes to get there I had to sit on the edge of my seat and use my damaged leg to run the pedals while bleeding all over the floor mats the whole time. Finaly I got to the hospital and the end result was a night in the hospital after surgery for a partially lacerated quad tendon. I believe fatigue played a big part in this I hadnt got much sleep the couple nights leading up to this hunt and I dont feel like I was at the top of my game. Keep your situational awareness up at all time accidents are around every corner and a lot of our hunts dont occur without great cell service or accessibility.

post-14142-0-76022000-1510846053_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-52957800-1510846077_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-24145300-1510846117_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-06162200-1510846138_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-51289800-1510846161_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-23115700-1510846202_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-93392100-1510846229_thumb.jpeg

post-14142-0-11437400-1510846249_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Oh man that sucks, during our hunt we had 2 javelons out as I was teaching my buddy his first deer and I poked him with mine, I was using mine as a pointer and he reached the same time I did , very minor but ya use caution. Also the day we were leaving out my wife calls and she hacked herself trying to get the pit out of the avocado, don't hold the avocado in your hand when you swing the fife into it!!! Set it down first

Very cool those guys could help you out

You're lucky. Replacement blade or not, that's what gets us in trouble even more if you're by yourself. I had a solo hunt this year and had to be extra careful not to hurt myself after I got my deer. Maybe it's my job as a Superintendent that forces safety that life has become a big safety concern for me. I know when I got mine down, my attitude was get it done as quick as I can and that's when I start being sloppy and can cut myself. I had to take pause a few times. Thanks for sharing, it's a lesson for all of us.

• Like 2

Very lucky. Glad you are okay and got help when needed. Could have been much worse. Nice buck too! I have slipped twice with mine but only got a sliced finger and not too bad.

Yah, I always seem to get at least one finger cut no matter how careful I'm trying to be.

Congrats on a great looking buck, but more importantly I'm glad you were able to get out as safely as you were. Thanks for sharing the story and warning - it's easy to forget how fast you can get hurt cleaning big game.

You mentioned replaceable blade knives in the title - do you think this was something specific about the knife being a replaceable-blade style, or just their inherent sharpness? I'm just curious if you feel they are more dangerous than traditional style hunting knives.

Once again - glad you weren't hurt worse and best luck on a speedy recovery.

I didnt want to focus in on one particular brand I have both havalon and outdoor edge and they skin knuckles equally this was with the outdoor edge but I feel these stories are becoming more and more common maybe not this bad but more common. I dont WANT to think they are more dangerous I just dont think the world is ready for this kind of sharpness. These things are scalpels and when doctors use scalpels they are in controlled environments with bright lights and their patient is on a table at their level. When do we use them? We use them with headlamps on the ground and if were lucky a buddy to hold a leg.

• Like 4

Glad you're ok. Even more reason to get a SPOT type of thing.

Congrats on a great looking buck, but more importantly I'm glad you were able to get out as safely as you were. Thanks for sharing the story and warning - it's easy to forget how fast you can get hurt cleaning big game.

You mentioned replaceable blade knives in the title - do you think this was something specific about the knife being a replaceable-blade style, or just their inherent sharpness? I'm just curious if you feel they are more dangerous than traditional style hunting knives.

Once again - glad you weren't hurt worse and best luck on a speedy recovery.

Having grown up helping my dad process deer after school in Iowa, well before the replaceable blade craze, we kept all the high-quality knives sharp and there were plenty of cuts, but nothing like what I've seen with these "new" replaceable blades. I really think its their inherent sharpness. I own one and took a huge chunk out of my thumb field dressing my daughter's elk, after cutting myself 7 times prior. Looking back, I was in a hurry and got sloppy. You definitely have to be paying more attention when using those things. I'll keep on using mine, but I'll definitely slow down.

Great buck and glad it was not any worse for you! Get well soon!

• Like 1

I guess the old saying a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife need some rethinking. Glad you had cell service.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder buddy! I know it sucks, but hopefully your story will remind others to be careful and pay a little extra attention.

What Mike forgot to say is he was very lucky and drew a late rifle Elk tag in 22North this year. Unfortunately due to his injury he had to donate the tag. Now a deserving veteran will get to harvest an Elk!

Sorry Buddy!

• Like 1