Sign in to follow this  
ofdscooby

Watch those replaceable blades knives

Dang, that's a bad one! I sliced open my finger real bad with the Outdoor Edge knife. Since then, I got a pair of cut resistant gloves. No cuts when I used them. It seems to happen when you are in a hurry...and tired. These gloves also help your grip on meat/hide.

• Like 3

I won't be telling my wife about this story........glad you made it back safe!

Nice looking buck for sure!

Thats a smart move if I ever try and go in a solo hunt again I think I may return to divorce papers

• Like 2

They are really razor blades. I use one for cutting salmon up and use a kevlar glove. I also carry a little kit with a syringe, lidocaine, disposable sutures and some tape. I am waiting for my buddy to cut himself so I can practice. Nice buck and glad you made it out OK.

I started use cut resistant gloves too. I wear them under a pair of latex gloves. They wouldn't have saved your leg but they save a bunch of cuts and pokes on the hands.

• Like 1

Man, nice buck. What unit?

forepaw

Nice try LOL do you really think him getting a desert buck like that he is going to give up the unit!

nice buck, glad everything worked out it could've been way worse for sure!!! those havalons can be dangerous!

Wow be-careful out there bro! Congrats on a nice buck and glad your ok

Man, nice buck. What unit?

forepaw

Nice try LOL do you really think him getting a desert buck like that he is going to give up the unit!

nice buck, glad everything worked out it could've been way worse for sure!!! those havalons can be dangerous!

I know, I know. Just hoping to get a few grins on the thread, tough break to get hurt like that. And a close call too. Smart idea to call OGT to get rescue started.

forepaw

• Like 2

I cut my thumb bad this year too. It's been a month and it's finally healing. I've ripped it open twice since....

Be careful...

I refuse to use these knives. Anything that has to be replaced and requires handling the blade is an accident waiting to happen. Have enough to worry about. Don't want razor blades to be one of them. Plus, nothing like owning a good knife that will last forever.

• Like 1

After taking that huge chunk out of my thumb, I will be getting a couple of pairs of cut-resistant gloves, thanks to CatfishKev's advice. If for no other reason than to irritate northAZarcher and have yet another excuse to give him grief! :P

Once again, OP, I'm glad you are ok, but sorry you'll be surrendering your elk tag.

Adam:

Thanks for getting Mike in touch! Working on getting the right vet lined up to use his donated tag. Already got a former H4H volunteer guide who has the same tag offer up an invite to share camp with him and several of his buddies who will be helping.

• Like 1

Just had this conversation on my hunt this last weekend. I poked myself twice cleaning two bucks. Real minor but still makes you think. They are scary. It doesn't always work but I try to cut away from myself whenever possible. Glad you are ok. And great buck by the way.