Sign in to follow this  
ofdscooby

Watch those replaceable blades knives

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-40514-5-curved-semi-stiff-boning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340514.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxOqv3avS1wIVAtVkCh0A5AweEAQYASABEgKRPvD_BwE

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-40535-5-beef-skinning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340535.html

These are my goto for it all.

With that being said I was gifted a rmef buck combo skinner-boner. I have done 3 elk with that set and have been pleased

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/products/large/buck_knives_paklite_trophy_kit_1469701_1.jpg

Mine doesnt have the gut hook.

for processing at home nothing beats the semi stiff boner. I have the same skinner i started with 20 years ago. The others have been replaced multip[le times but they have boned out hundreds of animals.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-40514-5-curved-semi-stiff-boning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340514.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxOqv3avS1wIVAtVkCh0A5AweEAQYASABEgKRPvD_BwE

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-40535-5-beef-skinning-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340535.html

These are my goto for it all.

With that being said I was gifted a rmef buck combo skinner-boner. I have done 3 elk with that set and have been pleased

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/img/products/large/buck_knives_paklite_trophy_kit_1469701_1.jpg

Mine doesnt have the gut hook.

for processing at home nothing beats the semi stiff boner. I have the same skinner i started with 20 years ago. The others have been replaced multip[le times but they have boned out hundreds of animals.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who can't quit laughing while reading this...

But yes, I have both Forster and Chicago Cutlery version of these from my dad's meat cutting days and they are absolutely awesome!

• Like 3

Having used the stiff boner and the flexible boner I have settled on the semi-stiff.

My friends wife had to go to the Knife store at Arrowhhead( if any one remembers that store) to pick up knives one time for work. She never batted an eye and asked for them by name.

• Like 1

Way different feel and shape. A skinners curved blade could work for some, but actual breaking down off the bone(boner) nothing beats it. I have butchered-processed javelina to a giraffe with an ostrich thrown in now and then. If you never have used a real skinner you don't know what you are missing.

• Like 1

Having used the stiff boner and the flexible boner I have settled on the semi-stiff.

My friends wife had to go to the Knife store at Arrowhhead( if any one remembers that store) to pick up knives one time for work. She never batted an eye and asked for them by name.

she sounds fun.

Not the knifes fault, just like it isn't the guns fault when someone gets shot.

People just aren't experienced with these knives. I don't know anyone who skins an animal with the knife in an up motion away from them. If the blades were bigger and the knife heavier there would be fewer accidents.

Using a little blade you tend to work closer which makes less room for error.

Love my havalon, and have used it to do most of several elk. The outdoor edge version is a little bigger and I've become a huge fan of those as well. I still carry my buck 119, just because I like it.

• Like 2

I guarantee you that my seven cuts and chunk of thumb missing on my daughter's elk were all because of that bolded statement in your post. I grew up cutting meat with my dad in the basement with extremely sharp, high-quality butcher's knives and accidents were rare. They happened, but it was rare. I was in a hurry to get that elk out before it got hot, knowing it was just me and my daughter a mile from the truck. I got sloppy from trying to rush to the pack out!

There's a word for that! "Rookie"

Just bought some of those gloves to keep in my pack. Never cut or nicked myself but I always wear rubber gloves when working with an animal, no reason not to have these in the pack over the rubber gloves. Just NEVER pull a knife toward yourself. Always cut away, push away. If you are pulling a blade toward yourself, you are doing it wrong. There's a safer way to do it.

I have used both and I prefer the Outdoor Edge over the Havalon. The Outdoor Edges has a bigger less flimsy blade on it. I use a multi-tool to change the blade to reduce having an accident with a slippery gunky blade. Having been in the military I also carry quick clot that can be used for uncontrolled bleeding if something were to happen from the blade or anything else for that matter while out in the field. You can buy it at BPS or Cabela's, it's vacuum sealed and will last quite a while.

I'd be interested in that quick clot. Have a son who has more stitches in his tongue than most ever get in their person. He has many - on the head, legs, arms, fingers... Too many stories to tell. Just grateful we've had someone willing to stitch him up on the dining room table, or pull steel splinters out of his eye - several times.