Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

An Early Monsoon!?!

My son's Boy Scout troop arrived up at Big Lake this morning for their yearly scout camp. I will be driving up and joining them Wednesday evening for the remainder of the week. Draysen (my son) is doing his eagle scout project Friday morning at Big Lake. We will be removing pheromone packets and hardware that were hung in many trees around Big Lake a couple of years ago by Forest Services. The packets were placed there to repel bark beetles, but have now expired.

Anyhow, back on subject, the Forest Service representative we have been coordinating this with just called to pass along a severe thunderstorm warning beginning tomorrow evening and continuing through the weekend that has them concerned about campers in the area. He said this type of early onset monsoon is very rare, but how great is the early moisture and an early monsoon going to be!?!? Fingers crossed.

From my Forest Service friend:

“The weather pattern setup from around mid-week onwards warrants some extra, important information to field personnel. The North American monsoonal timeframe is about to have one of its earliest starts ever due to a ‘perfect’ setup with an upper high off to the east of the region, a trough of low pressure to the northwest, and tropical remnants to be swept northward from the Pacific ocean. A moisture surge of this magnitude has rarely occurred this early in June and will bring both beneficial rainfall and increased RH values to much of the region by late week and over the upcoming weekend.

However, as usual, with the atmospheric shift and coincident change in the fire environment, there will be dramatic effects across the region. Expect volatile and erratic wind shifts, areas of blowing dust, rapid shifts in surface temperatures, frequent cloud-ground lightning, and gradually areas of very heavy rainfall as this monsoonal season gets underway later this week. It’s very important that field personnel understand the characteristics of the monsoonal onset and are cognizant of the ferocity that comes with a quick, dramatic shift from dry to moist conditions across the Southwest Area.” Rich Naden

• Like 5

Thank that Hurricane and be safe......BOB!

• Like 1

I think weather agencies are jumping the gun, calling this storm were supposed to get the start of the monsoon. Either way though, bring. It. On. Man its good to see rain in the forecast.

• Like 3

I thought it was a hurricane off baja

It is. Hurricane Bud will hopefully push some moisture our way!

post-8895-0-27031100-1528844605_thumb.png

Make sure to emphasize lightning safety if storms do roll in! My fly fishing buddy has witnessed the aftermath of 2 lightning strikes at Big Lake within the past decade (both fatal) ...

• Like 7

Make sure to emphasize lightning safety if storms do roll in! My fly fishing buddy has witnessed the aftermath of 2 lightning strikes at Big Lake within the past decade (both fatal) ...

This was his main reason for calling. To make sure we have a plan when the lightening starts.

• Like 1

Great news. (Not the lightning)

About forest closures- if we get enough water, they open them up. What I don't understand is: Who and how do they make that determination that it's wet enough to open them back up?

• Like 1

Moisture content in the ground fuel I believe. If not school me please.

Off topic but did the bark beetle repellant work, does it need to be redone now? And can you find out what the product was called? Just curious.

• Like 1

I am waiting for Hurricane Budlight!..LOL....BOB!

• Like 6

It ain't early. They called it in 2008. The official monsoon season starts june 15th. Right on time😄

• Like 4

I am waiting for Hurricane Budlight!..LOL....BOB!

That one should come right after bud.
  • Like 1

I think weather agencies are jumping the gun, calling this storm were supposed to get the start of the monsoon. Either way though, bring. It. On. Man its good to see rain in the forecast.

When they're right, it's a "science" but when they're wrong it's an "art."

But WX forecasting is improving vastly thanks to technology. When I began my 1st hitch as a meteorologist stationed here in the valley, we had no satellite imagery, unreliable and inaccurate antiquated monitoring equipment and radar was a vintage air to air combat unit with a 60 mile range salvaged from a B-52.

Heading out the door 7 years later we had our choice of pics from a Hughes Goes satellite.. Visual, AR, Water Vapor etc..and real time data from interlocking Doppler radars.

Now I get all the WX info I need from my phone.

• Like 2