rossislider

Berger VLDs Let Me Down - Suggestions???

I had virtually the same thing happen out of a lazzeroni warbird on a bull several yrs ago. I had numerous conversations with the tech guys at Berger and was told when shot out of a big fast caliber they don’t always penetrate but instead blow up on impact....I now use them on deer size game but shoot either accubond or ttsx on big thick skinned game. 

• Like 1

180 gr. Swift Scirocco or 200 gr Nosler Accubond. Not the best b.c. but they won't fall apart. Norma has a 180 gr bonded bullet that they are claiming a bc of .615 but only available in factory ammo I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

You can see the impact location of the first shot just behind the shoulder in this picture.

60529.jpeg

60527.jpeg

60521.jpeg

Nice bull, Ive had good luck with Nosler Partition.

Awesome bull!  I’ve had good luck with Sciroccos but can’t seem to get the long range performance out of them like I do with the bergers.  Wish they would bond them!  I’ve killed 6 elk with them and haven’t had any issues like you say, but I have seem them really blow up on shoulder shots.  I have heard the same issues with the ELDx and my moderate dislike of all things hornady has kept me from messing with them.  If you can get them to shoot, you won’t be dissatisfied with the performance of the Scoriccos.   Same goes for Barnes TTSX’s. 

• Like 2

Congrats on bull, je’s A beauty!!!  

All long range type bullets will have same problems at close range at RUM velocities.  LRAB will be your best since at least core/ base will hold together

If your going to change Edlx at Minimum of 212.   I’ve had good experiences with both.  EDLX have been not as accurate as bergers for me.  LRAB seem to be finicky too, all my loads needed .050 jump.  

In my experience when muzzle velocities exceeed 3100fps you need to start looking at more high retention type bullets for just the occasion you experienced.  Under 3100 any of the above bullets will do you if your rifle likes them.

Awesome bull.

I dont have experience on bull elk, but have used them on cows with success. Classic hunters have dumped mule deer for me too.

I am looking at TTSX in my 300 weatherby though for a lighter bullet I can drive fast. It shot really well with 150gr TTSX. I am trying 168gr TTSX next. 

The 6.5x55 is going to stay with Berger though, and it will be that it the 300 weatherby on my cow hunt this year. 

First, congrats on the great bull. Second, it would be hard for me to walk away from a bullet that on every other occasion has worked flawlessly. It's hunting and things can go wrong no matter how hard we prepare or what equipment we use. There is not a bullet on the market that will give you 100% results, there are just too many variables. Third I think 3A 3C bulls are just tougher than most. I shot a nice bull two years ago with a .280 Ackley Improved that soaked up 6 solid hits with 168gr VLDs before he finally quit. He literally had zero internal organs and when we opened him up it was just a mushy jello to pour out. Somehow he managed to stay on his feet for quite awhile behind a juniper tree before he finally fell over. I don't blame the bullet at all, sometimes things just don't go the way we think they should. 

• Like 1

Yes, chit happens....

Sorry about your experience but I've shot big bulls with lesser Berger's and they've been flawless....

Don't be too quick to change IME. Been there done that ...

PS - great bull...

• Like 1

c'mon Sean, you know darn well it is not the bullet. Flatten out that brim and the beast will drop like it should with a 300 rum. Represent!

Glad to see you guys are having a good time. I have no doubt now that the winds are gone and the rain is here Draysen will poke a good one.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, STOMP442 said:

First, congrats on the great bull. Second, it would be hard for me to walk away from a bullet that on every other occasion has worked flawlessly. It's hunting and things can go wrong no matter how hard we prepare or what equipment we use. There is not a bullet on the market that will give you 100% results, there are just too many variables. Third I think 3A 3C bulls are just tougher than most. I shot a nice bull two years ago with a .280 Ackley Improved that soaked up 6 solid hits with 168gr VLDs before he finally quit. He literally had zero internal organs and when we opened him up it was just a mushy jello to pour out. Somehow he managed to stay on his feet for quite awhile behind a juniper tree before he finally fell over. I don't blame the bullet at all, sometimes things just don't go the way we think they should. 

My dad and I had this happen with a cow elk many years ago. At 50 yards he shot her with a 200gr Speer Grand Slam right in the boiler room. She kept going and he hit her again with another good shot. She ran toward me, and I shot her with a 338 win mag shooting 275gr semi-spitzers. My shot was a little far back and that heavy bullet penciled through. She turned around and ran back to my dad and he shot her 2 more times. All 4 of his shots should have stopped her. None of his shots exited. She ran another 75 yards before she piled up. She was still trying to get back up though.  

We gutted her, and I literally had to cut the top off a coke can and scoop out the liquid that was once her lungs and liver in with the can. 

This was in unit 8. She was a tough a** cow. 

I learned a few things that day. Elk are tough as heck, but that 275gr semi-Spitzer was to much bullet unless I planned to shoot shoulders. I also learned adrenaline is a heck of a drug, but I think if we would have let her keep going after the first 2 hits she would have piled up not that far away. She just got caught in a crossfire and the adrenaline kept her on her feet, along with being so close to her. 

215 or 230 Hybrid.  Even at high velocity, they work great.  I launch both at 3100fps+ MV.  From 120 to 880+, they have dropped elk at the shot for us.  

• Like 3