Sign in to follow this  
archeryaz

Boys got it done!

This was a great and special hunt. My oldest (Gage) had been looking forward to this hunt since he found out he, and his brother had been drawn. My youngest son (Gavin) was looking forward to the opportunity to try and take his first big game animal.

Day one started with 16 deer, as luck would have it there was a two point with the group. Gavin was up to bat, after getting Gavin set up, the deer ranged, and the rifle dialed, Gavin let loose. Swing and a miss! I later checked the rifle and found that the turret on the rifle was off a complete revolution. Dads fault. Little did we know it was the best thing that could of happened. Gavin was clearly upset, but Gage told him we would find a better buck, and it was only the first hour of opening day.

The following day, our close friend Luke was able to come and help with glassing duty. After finding some deer, with only one small buck, Luke announced he had three bucks. The bucks were feeding and appeared to be heading to bed down. We were able to watch the bucks bed down, and make note of where they were.

As we were making plans to get closer, two trucks drove past our glassing spot, waved and continued towards the bedded bucks. I was nervous, but Luke assured me they had not seen the deer. We watched as the group of seven people walked out towards where the bucks had gone into some thick stuff. Luke decided to walk out to a point, and side hill around to where we had last seen the deer. We made it to a vantage point and began to glass. A short time later one of the three bucks was seen, now on his feet watching the other group of hunters. After about 20 minutes the buck Bedded back down. Luke found a better vantage point where we figured the boys may be able to get a shot. As we moved into position, we found the other group of hunters were leaving.

I was able to get the boys set up for a shot.  Luke was able to locate two of the three bucks. Gavin was able to find the deer in the scope. Luke and I prepared Gage, and the plan was made to let Gavin shoot the buck he was on as soon as it stood up. We knew the better of the two other bucks had to be close, even though we could not see him. I told Gage to be ready, as we were sure the the buck would stand and show himself as soon as Gavin fired. Then the wait started. The boys stayed on their rifles for well over an hour, as Gavin’s buck stayed bedded right out in the open and the sun. 

We were sure the buck would stand anytime to move out of the sun. During our wait, Gavin was able to dry fire on the buck, and prepare himself for the shot. At about an hour and a half, Gavin’s buck finally stood up. Luke continued to watch as I was between the boys. I told Gavin, to breath and press the trigger. As the shot broke, Luke called HIT! At the shot, the third buck stood and showed his hiding spot. As the buck stood, Gage shot. The shot was right over the bucks back. Gage kept his composure, worked the bolt and made an awesome follow up shot! 

We packed up our things and started towards where the deer had last been seen running into some scrub oak. When we got to the area, Luke was able to find Gavin’s deer was down. As Gavin was headed towards his buck, he found Gages buck which was also down! After some hugs and pictures, Luke made his way back to the truck, while Gavin, Gage, and I started the field dressing and packing. Luke was going to drive around an pick us up. As we were picking out, I was able to share a story with the boys of an elk hunt I had with my dad when I was about 15, that required a pack out very similar to the one we were on. I shared with them how difficult it was, and how I would never forget it. Both boys told me they wouldn’t forget this one, nor would I.

We got back to the truck around 8:30 pm. Tired cold and hungry! We wouldn’t have changed anything! The boys were thrilled with their bucks. Gavin’s buck was a great 3x4! Gages buck was his best yet. A 4x5 with eye guards. A special thanks to Luke, we couldn’t have done it without you!

42D4DE4D-9D64-43D2-87E4-DC1D3C30E5EF.jpeg

0D698589-7895-420D-B12F-891B8F844EF2.jpeg

6DECA441-7E26-4A8B-AF0E-04DBC43F6792.jpeg

87BD33B6-C4B9-49F9-9A04-08AA569192FB.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Wow! 1

Great job congrats

Thanks you all for the kind words. I have been very lucky to share this time with my sons, and close friends.