Explorer

What was your first hunting rifle?

I was just thinking how much I missed my old Spanish 7x57 mauser. that metal buttplate made me the man I am today haha!

First rifle was a model 69a winchester .22. First deer gun was an 1894 winchester .30/30. Paid $42 in hard earned cotton choppin' money for it and 14 ca'tridges at Talley and sons. Still have em both and shoot em regular. Also wore out a half dozen red riders and daisys. Lark

1968, Rem 700 ADL .270. Cost $105.00 at Globe dept. store here in Phoenix. Washed dishes as a summer job when 12 years old to pay for it. One of my proudest moments.

It was a model 88 Winchester in 243,bought at Malco distributors,Phoenix by my dad for 95.00 in 1962.We hunted horseback alot,and he was left handed so both of us could shoot it,since it was a lever action.Still have it.

Remington 700 in .243, no scope. I sighted it in and never touched the sights again. I use it to this day since 1980. I thought we were talking about deer rifles. My first was a Sears and Roebuck bolt action .22. I was 11 yrs old. I loved that thing. Killed a lotta bunnies, jacks, quail and coyotes with it. Someone that served with me at Ft Lewis hopefully still has it. Thievin' bastard.

• Like 1

Hunted with a bow my first 6 yrs (age 14-20), dad was all about flinging arrows back then. Met some guys at work who to this day hunt every year with (26 yrs and still going strong) but at age 21 bought my first Ruger 30-06. Sure wished I kept it for sentimental purposes.

An old military rifle in 303 I bought at an bait shop that used to be on Mckellips Rd in Mesa in the mid 70's.

• Like 1

14th birthday my parents gave me my dream rifle, Ruger M77 .270. It was topped with a 4X Bushnell scope. I thought I was the luckiest boy in the world! I still have that gun, and always will.