Explorer

What was your first hunting rifle?

My grandpa gave me his husquevarna 30-06. He is in his 90's now and still doing well. Killed my first two elk and first deer with it as a kid. My dad gave me an old single shot 20g that we hunted birds with. Then for my 16th Bday he got me a new rem870 12g. Best Bday present I could have ever expected. Still have all of them in the gun cabinet.

I had a British 303 full military stock. I bought for $35.00 at the pawn shop outside of Davis Monthan AFB. in Tucson

The Cashbox, used to go there all the time when hitting Mama Loisas Restaraunt.

It was a model 88 Winchester in 243,bought at Malco distributors,Phoenix by my dad for 95.00 in 1962.We hunted horseback alot,and he was left handed so both of us could shoot it,since it was a lever action.Still have it.

Same here, my 88 is a 1957

First rifle was a Winchester .22 Model 62

Started with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, graduated to a .22 LR Remington tube-fed semi-auto, then to a pre-1920 Savage Model 99 in .303 Savage. With that .303, I shot maybe four or five mule deer, a whitetail, five or six javelinas and a few coyotes.

For my first elk hunt, I bought a Sears Model 50 .270 Winchester with a Belgium Mauser action. Lark will be happy to know I shot lots of critters and metalicas siluetas targets with this rifle.

I eventually shot the .270 barrel out and bought a Czech Mauser barreled action in 7mm Remington Magnum and made a stock for it. I've used this rifle in a dozen counties on six continents and it's never let me down.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Started off whith a Red Ryder pretty young, my grandpa would pay us .25 cents for every sparrow we shot. I got an older rem. 700 in 3006 when I was 10. Killed a few deer and elk with it. My brother took it shooting and then left it in his truck and it was stolen, dirty suckers.

I still have it. My Dad gave me a 303 British with the stock cut shorter. Open sights. Cool stuff>................BOB!

First deer rifle was a Winchester model 94 30-30...

First shotgun was a Remington model 870 12 gauge...

First gun was a Savage 24E 22 Long Rifle over 20 gauge...

Still have all 3 guns...........

• Like 1

07 .351 self loader. Now that's a rare one. Can you find ammo for it? Lark

Have a couple boxes left and found Buffalo arms still makes them. Need to order more before they quit or Obama makes it illegal.

Model 99 Savage, .250/3000. Killed my first Coues buck with it in the Santa Rita Mountains in 1958. I still have it. Great gun, great cartridge.

First shotgun was a single shot 20g that I ordered from Sears catalog for $40 - still have it - still use it on occasion.

First rifle was a Marlin .22 that I bought in a pawn shop for $40

First deer rifle was a Remington Woodmaster in .308 that I inherited from my step-grandad - had to sell it to pay the rent back in the early 80s when I was fresh out of the Marine Corps, broke and in kind of a tough place. Broke my heart to do it, but didn't feel like i had much choice at the time.

10/22 I bought in the past couple years and an heirloom single-shot .22 that's been in the family several generations.

First big-game rifle was a Remington 700 camo synthetic (basically a BDL in mossy oak bottomland with painted barrel to match) .270 that I still use. Bought it from a local hardware store in TN almost 25 yrs ago. Only big-game rifle I've needed so far.

Grandpa bought me a Remington 700 in 270 was 14 this was 1990