kfallsrob

Sons 2019 muley

My son got it done on the second day. Due to the national forest service extending the fire closure in 17B to the 24th of October, we had to totally ditch our original plans and hunt some new country we have never been into. The first day was pretty rough, we only saw about 30 deer and the only 2 bucks were a spike and small forked horn my son was not interested in harvesting. Gotta give him credit for patience. Day 2, we tried some different country and had not even seen a deer until around 8AM when I picked up the buck about 2 miles out across a couple of canyons. We came up with a game plan, drove the truck down the hill, and hiked into our 1 landmark on the ridge, which was a lone mesquite bush. As we came over the ridge, we spotted our buck still up feeding and got into position for a shot. As my son was getting settled in, he saw another small fork bedded down in the bush right next the the larger buck, but the one standing was a lot larger. He dropped him in his tracks with a 320 yard shot across a small canyon. The other small buck never even got up out of his bed until we started making our way into the canyon. At that point the small buck and 2 other bucks, including a very nice 3x4 jumped up out of there beds and eventually made there way over the ridge. Wish we would have seen the 3x4 earlier, but my son had no regrets with the nice buck he harvested. It was a tough pack out, but my 14 year old hauled the back half out, over a mile through some rough country. I explained to him, they really taste good when you have to put that kind of work in. 

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

• Like 24

That's awesome!!!!   Glad you guys had a great hunt!

Love this time of year when the youth success pics start rolling in!!!!!  👍

S.

:)

Congratulations!! Nice buck!

Awesome! Congrats to your boy.