Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Uno mas for my "Lucky Kids"!

My boy Lucas harvested a 101 last year and went into this year with two goals in mind.  One was to beat his brother who harvested a 118 in November, and Two was to better his best of 101.  We located a 120 plus in November, but could not relocate him on this hunt. We were down before Christmas for 4 days, and spent to entire hunt looking for the one specific buck.  When we went back down on Dec. 26th Lucas said, "Dad, lets start looking for some different deer".  We hunted 6 different locations in  3 days.  10-20 bucks per day was the average, but couldn't put anything in front of him that he wanted to shoot.  As it worked out, his employer put him on the schedule to work on Saturday even though he had taken the time off.  Lucas informed me that he really want to return to work the following day at 4pm as scheduled.  This left us a couple of hours on Sunday morning to get the job done.  We glassed several spikes and small two points at sun up, but didn't want to shoot them.  Around 9:00 we glassed a really good buck watching over 2 does.  We made our move and closed the distance from 1200 to 550.  we relocated the buck, but could only see his head above the ridge.  we set up for the shot and waited.  We watched the buck follow his girls into a deep cut.  Lucas and I rolled the dice, as he had to be back in Phoenix by 4.  We hiked in on the back side of a ridge across from where the buck should be.  We set up glass and located this buck 375 across the canyon.  It was not the buck that we went in after, but with zero time on the game clock he decided that is was a very cool and unique 4x3 with close to 5 inch eye guards, and it was a buck that he would be happy with.  One well place 150 nos "AB from the 300 wsm and it was down.  Some quick pics, took care of the meat and cape, and packed him out without a rest.  I sent him back to town with a friend, and he made it to work on time!!  He better get employee of the Month for this one!!  lmao

In closing;  I remember getting scolded a bit last year for him passing a ton of bucks in search of one over 100, and may get a little of that again.  However, I stand to my guns on teaching my kids that patients, hard work, being selective, delayed gratification, and being picky to wait for what you want, are good life lessons.

Enjoy,

Whitey

lucas coues 2019.jpeg

lucas coues and me 2019.jpeg

• Like 16

Cool buck! No need to defend yourself over how you decide to hunt. I personally have just as much respect for the guy who shoots the spike for the meat as I do for the guy who holds out. People forget what huntings all about too much these days. 
ive decided that if any of my kids decide to hunt, their first deer will be very small. Mine was a spike, and it instilled an appreciation in me that I’m still grateful for. Seems like your approach is working just fine too!congrats!

• Like 3

On 12/31/2019 at 10:39 AM, lionhunter said:

In closing;  I remember getting scolded a bit last year for him passing a ton of bucks in search of one over 100, and may get a little of that again.  However, I stand to my guns on teaching my kids that patients, hard work, being selective, delayed gratification, and being picky to wait for what you want, are good life lessons.

I think those are all good life lessons and, to me, the best part is that HE made the decisions understanding the options, the risks, and the rewards. He did all that in light of  the values and ethics that you shared with him, his own conscience, and the very real, urgent practical considerations.  (He should definitely be EOM!)  And you were there to talk to him about all those things as went through that decision making process.  That's not just being a dad, that's being a mentor.  Well done.  Great buck!