Sign in to follow this  
Hatchet Jack

More late kaibab action

I got lucky and drew a random 12aw late tag this year.  I honestly expected to see more bucks per day, i'd say we averaged seeing 10 bucks a day, but roughly half of those we saw were pretty good bucks in the 160-165 range, with a handful of 170-175 bucks over the course of 5 1/2 days.  They seemed very pockety to me, one draw would have a bunch of deer with some bucks kicking around, the next draw with the exact habitat would have nothing.  The evenings were very slow for us, at least the first few days since it was so dang hot.  Most of the mature bucks seemed to be hanging in the pines right before it opened up into the oaks.  My dad found this inline buck on day 3 and i figured he was on the bubble; good deer but i wanted to hold out for a few more days.  Day 4 we couldn't turn him up and considered him gone to find new does, but we hung around to see if new bucks would move in.  I was able to put glass on him the morning of day 5 in the same canyon and knew he was a shooter.  After several days of looking at what i'd consider good bucks, he stood out a lot.  I knew he didn't have great mass or width but was long and had character so i couldn't resist.Capture.PNG.642086efbf44b3f580f9d2923568cf43.PNGIMG_6032.thumb.jpg.2f2f8b4ed211fe7cb308099362869556.jpgIMG_6003.thumb.jpg.a48c24539e02b4000d9842493ce98528.jpg

• Like 29
  • Love 2
  • Great Buck! 6
  • Wow! 1

Nice Buck Congrats ,Very Pretty Rack. Fun place for a Hunt isn't it............................BOB!