Sign in to follow this  
WhtMtnHunter

Big Boguillas Gone?

3 hours ago, jdown said:

My guess is negotiating better land deals, more tax payer maintenance equipment, better easement deals and and higher access fees....for land that is 50% or more public. 

Isn't the Boquillas like 67% deeded and 33% leased land?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StickFlicker said:

During the G&F meeting when they were discussing this, I believe that Amber Munig said they only had another week or two to work it out in time for them to finalize the permit numbers in the hunting regulations that needed to be sent to the printer.  So, that date has now passed.  I would think if G&F managed to save the hunts, we would have heard about it (so no news is bad news), but who knows.

During the meeting, Chairman Davis included in the motion both the original tag allocations if the Big Bo was opened along with the new tag numbers if it was closed. It said if they do reach an agreement, they could revert back to the original numbers presented by Amber Munig. 

He also said that if the Big Bo is closed, that they would encourage the Department to not only remove GU10 from the Alternative management program, but to possibly close the area down completely to prevent a “private hunting ranch” scenario. 

You can hear his remarks at the 5:03:50 mark (pronghorn) and at the 5:11 mark (elk). 

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/Commission-12-10-21-WEB.mp3

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Isn't the Boquillas like 67% deeded and 33% leased land?

Oh it could be. Still a ton of public land was my point.  As I cruz through onX I get as many public as I do private squares but I’m not sure what the actual percentage is.  

4 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

During the meeting, Chairman Davis included in the motion both the original tag allocations if the Big Bo was opened along with the new tag numbers if it was closed. It said if they do reach an agreement, they could revert back to the original numbers presented by Amber Munig. 

He also said that if the Big Bo is closed, that they would encourage the Department to not only remove GU10 from the Alternative management program, but to possibly close the area down completely to prevent a “private hunting ranch” scenario. 

You can hear his remarks at the 5:03:50 mark (pronghorn) and at the 5:11 mark (elk). 

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/Commission-12-10-21-WEB.mp3

Just listened to that, I was glad that they brought that point up. I hope that they're able to come to an agreement there's a lot of things that I like about hunting on the ranch that I'd miss / miss when I'm not in 10. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 12:37 PM, Explorer said:

I hope you guys are a decade or two behind us on hunting losses.  It's a heck of alot cheaper for tags for residents and alot of over the counter. Wish it was not so cold up there or I would convince my lady to move. 

I'd prefer the Arizona model myself. I'm much more impressed with the way the AZGFD is ran than how our FWP is ran. Too much politics involved in ours.

Game and fish is proposing moving the 15, 18a elk hunt to the general draw and no longer limited opportunity. Maybe game and fish hired Chad Smith to herd the elk from 10 into the bordering units so they can sell more tags.

2 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Game and fish is proposing moving the 15, 18a elk hunt to the general draw and no longer limited opportunity. Maybe game and fish hired Chad Smith to herd the elk from 10 into the bordering units so they can sell more tags.

Maybe there’s more elk there now 

9 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Maybe there’s more elk there now 

I'm sure there is. Interesting how the objective on those units didn't change until units around it changed. 

Can someone explain this to me? 10 is a regular elk unit for my family (cow hunts not bull) We’ve never hunted on the Boquillas but I’m just confused as to what is/could be happening up there? None of these posts make any sense to me maybe I’m just not reading thoroughly enough. Is azgfd planning on cutting tags for the elk hunts for the whole unit because they think the ranch won’t allow hunting up there anymore or what? Or is everyone on this site worried that 750 tags will be too much for the non-ranch part of the unit to handle (Which I would definitely agree with) I just want to make sure we’ll still be able to draw cow tags for the unit every 1-2 years. Thanks in advance 

It's not just the big bo doing this in unit 10. I grew up in Williams and worked on and played on the majority of the ranches there. I worked sheep and cattle on the Aja ranch. Now closed to public access do to being contracted with an outfitter from the Prescott area.  I worked cattle with Dave Blaire on the Bar Heart ranch. Now closed to bublic access for being run and operated by an outfitter.  The Seven's ranch use to be a favorite archery hunting area. Now subdivided with very limited access. As well as the four hills ranch area. The Freeman ranch contracted to outfitters.  

I am in favor of the rules set by the Perrin still granting access but limiting vehicle access and camping location's. And I appreciate the Babbitt ranch for remaining open. 

I was fortunate enough to draw my antilope tag this year with 26 bonus points. I did not access the Big Bo and was still able to harvest a Boone and Crockett record book buck. Despite the ranch closures.

In my humble opinion I feel that if they want to legally post ALL private land.  From the corner every quarter mile. So be it but do not limit or lock off the access to state land that as stated in law my hunting license grants me permission to hunt on. It does not give me the right to damage or trash the land so watch where you travel and pick up your trash.

Resized_20210904_072859.jpeg

• Like 3