TINES, I'm with you. I don't think there is anything random about the draw. A few years ago My wife and I both got our second choice 5a bull tag the reason I can't believe it is random is that we put in separately and we both got our second choice. That still isn't the reason that I can't believe it is random. Our tag numbers were 25 and 26. I think I would have better luck hitting the lottery than the both of us drawing back to back numbers in a random draw of thousands. I think it is proof that the draw isn't random.

Now I am not saying that anything fishy is going on buttttttttt.

Hawkeye

this sounds like case in point why we have those nov archery bull tags. bunch of cry babies. play the game and quit crying.

Haha!! Thanks for proving my point.

Unlike "most" hunters out there, I can do without a tag every other year if it means a quality hunt will come my way. So your November hunt comment doesn't apply. Maybe you should have actually READ my post.....

Hey ultramag, I play the game just fine and love it. I sure wasn't complaining about getting drawn with my wife. But isn't it strange how we got the number 25 and number 26 tags. Both applying separately and both second choice. And both such a low number in the draw. Just putting it out for an explanation. I would think the odds on that would be a longer shot than winning the lottery.

this sounds like case in point why we have those nov archery bull tags. bunch of cry babies. play the game and quit crying.

Haha!! Thanks for proving my point.

Unlike "most" hunters out there, I can do without a tag every other year if it means a quality hunt will come my way. So your November hunt comment doesn't apply. Maybe you should have actually READ my post.....

I have read lots of cry baby posts. I wasn't refering to you in general. I agree I will sit a few years out and wait for a good tag when it comes. by the way I have not had an elk tag in 5 years and didn't get one this year.

I had 11 BP going into the draw and finally draw my Archery Bull tag. :lol: I finally got through yesterday evening to find out that I drew. I was expecting it after looking at all the draw info from last year, at least I knew my odds were much better this year.

I keep trying to get through for my son and daughter but can't before I go to bed. My son wakes me up at about 1:00 a.m. and says that he and his 14 year old buddy both were drawn (I assume for the JR hunt--their second choice since there is no way they get the same tag I had been waiting ten years for) I find out in the morning that his buddy was drawn for the same archery bull tag that I waited ten years for. I ask my son what he drew and he says he doesn't know because after he heard "you were drawn" he got excited and didn't listen for the hunt number so we start calling again. Finally get through but I check on my daughter and she has drawn her second choice unit 27 cow hunt in Oct. My son gets through a little later and comes out hootin and hollering about getting the unit 1 archery bull hunt (same hunt I have been applying for, for ten years).

So we have 3 archery bull tags in unit one, three different applications. Me with 11 BP and them with 2. What are the odds. Those two kids have been giving me crap since we put in that they were getting drawn and I was going to be blanked again. I am sure glad they were wrong about that!!!! at least the part about me getting blanked!! That's five tags in six years for my son. His first bull hunt (all the rest were JR hunts).

With the three of us, my daughter in Oct. and another JR hunter in unit one and still waiting to hear on a couple of others it is going to be one awesome fall!!!

I absolutely can not wait!!

Hey ultramag, I play the game just fine and love it. I sure wasn't complaining about getting drawn with my wife. But isn't it strange how we got the number 25 and number 26 tags. Both applying separately and both second choice. And both such a low number in the draw. Just putting it out for an explanation. I would think the odds on that would be a longer shot than winning the lottery.

My guess would be that when the draw is conducted, those drawn are not issued a tag immediately, just a #. Then, when the draw is complete, maybe an alfabetical list of those drawn for that hunt is generated and tags issued by number from A - Z. That would explain you and your wife with the same last name getting consecutive tags.

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen? Or, maybe someone has had the opposite happen, and a husband & wife or kids drew the same hunt and had non-consecutive tags?

My guess would be that when the draw is conducted, those drawn are not issued a tag immediately, just a #. Then, when the draw is complete, maybe an alfabetical list of those drawn for that hunt is generated and tags issued by number from A - Z. That would explain you and your wife with the same last name getting consecutive tags.

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen? Or, maybe someone has had the opposite happen, and a husband & wife or kids drew the same hunt and had non-consecutive tags?

Yes just last year. My son and my wife got drawn for the same unit. If your theory held water they would have pretty close numbers. "NOT", they were a long way off. That is my whole point. Secrecy. Any time a government agency is clouded in secrecy we should be concerned. If everything is on the up and up why be so secret about it. Has anyone here ever witnessed the draw? And can confirm what takes place.

Mr Q, My heart sank every time i got that color card. But unlike these day's.That is a long forgotten memory. I use to hound the mailman every time,until he finally would honk, "the horn that is", to tell me my faith. I guess I conditioned him or wore him down. I have to go back to the 8mm film to see what happen farther back but i heard the stories. I do remember the G/f offering second chance permits for whitetail in the early 80's. I did happen to harvest a muley and whitetail that year. Never again unfortunately. Mr. Q it has always been a pleasure to read your column in the Tucson newspaper. That's a lost art in itself.

Thank you. Monday will be our 52rd wedding anniversary and 15 years since I retired from the Citizen after writing its outdoors stuff for 27 years. Today I celebrated both events early by attending a wake in St. David that past and present staffers held at the home of a former Citizen photographer.

The Citizen is publishing on a day-to-day basis now, waiting while two potential buyers decide whether they will bid on it. If they don't, that paper will be history, just like the Phoenix Gazette --- and the days when we could buy our deer and pig tags at sporting goods stores and hunt anywhere during the season.

Incidentally, I was not drawn for rifle cow elk at the cabin for the fifth straight year. I don't need more antlers, just the meat and the experience of hunting elk again. :(

Bill Quimby

So hawkeye what is your theory? It's not that big of a mystery you randomly got picked next to each other. I can see it now the game and fish sitting around in a room let's freak this guy out and give him and his wife their second choice and put their tag numbers beside each other. Yeh that should be a real conspiracy. I don't see it as weird at all many years ago a friend told me to put in for unit 1 spring turkey, so I did, I drew tag 1 and he drew tag 2 just a freak coincidence. I would just like for once someone to actually post something of substance to why the draw is such a fix. It took me over 20 years to finally draw my first choice rut tag but in the same time I have had 3 nov 22 archery bull tags and 9 cow tags. As for the guy's bitching about the phone line just be thankfull we can find out now and not be still waiting to put in as in years past. People are going to keep complaining and the game and fish will just waite until their published date to put out the results.

Finally got through. I have 10 points ---- no tag

My wife 5 points ---- no tag

my oldest son 5 points ---- no tag

my youngest 1 point --- lucky and drew a jr. cow tag

At least we have one hunt this year..............Allen............