Big Browns

Do you agree with G&F forcing kids to take Hunter Safety???

Do you agree with G&F forcing any kids 10-14 years old to take hunter safety before they can hunt big game animals? The reason I ask is because of the situation I'm currently in. I have to amazing kids ages 10 & 12. I have taken them on numerous bird, squirrel, duck, pheasant hunts over the years. The problem is neither one of them is super into hunting! They go back and forth on wanting to go Deer or Elk hunting. The main reason they don't want to go is because they know they have to take a class. They want to hunt, but they don't want to sit thru a 2 day class. I say 2 day class, because I don't think they would do well taking the online class. I know my kids would love the experience once they were able to go.

I just wish the G&F offered another option for kids to hunt without taking the Hunter Ed course. Maybe let them hunt for one year under a mentor to see if they like it.

This brings up another problem. Even if I can convince/force my kids to take hunter Ed, I then have to find a course. As we all know finding a hunter Ed class is next to impossible.

My point is Arizona G&F has made it more difficult for youth hunters than a lot of eastern states. How many times have you seen Michal Waddell take his 5 year old son deer hunting in Georgia! It would be nice if our kids had the same opportunities!!!!

Rant over:)

Adam

"Do you agree with G&F forcing any kids 10-14 years old to take hunter safety before they can hunt big game animals?"

Yes, yes I do.

• Like 8

Yes. I think it should be a class and not online. I served my time twice , my boys enjoyed it, me not so much.

• Like 4

Absolutely a necessary Step in becoming a safe hunter and being able to put in for youth hunts or the general pool.

Sitting for a few hrs and discussing learning how to be a safe hunter in the field is just a small part of the whole safety course.

Even Dads don't always have the right answers all the time -- you may learn something -

we should have a survey as to how many Dads / hunters have actually taken the time to read the regs each yr. things change out there -

• Like 4

Finding a class room setting in Tucson was impossible and when something did come up, it was too late to sign up or always had prior engagements. I put both of my kids through the online class ( not by choice, but do to schedules) and I really wanted them to have other kids around to get to know, have a more interaction, etc....but I actually think the one on one sit down at our own pace setting was beneficial. We alternated reading paragraphs, had our own snacks and icee's and took the tests together writing down each question and answer for referencing the final test.

I do think it's beneficial, even though I have taught them from the very beginning all the aspects of gun safety, it never hurts to have more and more knowledge, whether it's survival to gun etiquette to basic field dressing. I remember taking it when I was 10 and I couldn't wait til my kids turned 10 to pass on this tradition.

Bite the bullet and have fun taking it with them, it's really cool seeing them get their Hunter Ed patch, hat and certificate.......smiles all around from kids to the parents.

Hunter ed should be mandatory for all. It is possible to teach an old dog new tricks. I've sat through three for various reasons, hope to do it again in about 7 years.

Its really not hard at all to find a class. Just plan for it ahead of time long before or after the draw.

I am glad it is mandatory and should be mandatory for aduts as well. Your job as a dad is to MAKE them take the class whether they want to or not. Sign them up and dont even give them an option. I took it when i was young and it was a blast. Had a great time and learned a lot. My dad went with me even though he didnt have to and i suggest you do the same with them.

• Like 8

Also sounds like your kids probably arent ready for big game hunting if they arent even willing to sit in a 4 hr class for 2 days in order to do it.

• Like 5

Kids, absolutely! The best hunter ed course is through Youth Outdoors Unlimited. What better way than in the woods to get your class.

Heck, my friends made me take the course in 1999, just so they'd take me elk hunting for the first time. I was 46 years old then. It was more about the bonus point I think then anything.

I took a guy deer hunting and he had an AD as I placed him at pre-dawn. He was carrying it loaded with the safety off and pushed the trigger as he sat down! Could have killed himself, or worse yet, me! I told him I wouldn't take him hunting again unless he took the course. That was the last time we hunted together.

So I think all hunters should have to take the course to apply for hunts.

• Like 3

Yes.

I've gone through two. One in 1979 and the other 2010. I think it's an important step as a youngster. Although there were several adults pursuing their hunter ed point in my 2010 class, the curriculum and teachers were geared for the kids. Had a great group of young boys and girls in that class. They enjoyed the field day.

I would encourage them.

• Like 1