Sign in to follow this  
grey curse

Ethical???

Okay got a scenario for you gentlemen. Back in march I was looking at some new country, setting salt and cams. Found this great bench. Started walking it out and running the trails to find " the spot" to drop a camera. Found an old salt lick that appeared abandoned. So I cleaned up the area and set a camera and put down salt. Came back in early may replaced batteries and sd card. Went in this past weekend to find some one had ripped the camera off the tree breaking the strap clips and the locking eyes on the door. Pulled the sd card deleted the pics and shoved it in backwards. Not sure if the camera even works now. Leaving a note " find your own area". No new camera up just a new salt block. So my question is was I on the wrong. I find and have abandoned salt lick all the time. I would have gladly moved out of the area with a simple note or even just seeing evidence of the lick being used by another hunter. I'm thinking of leaving a letter to explain all of this with my number to get reimbursed. Not that I run expensive cameras but just the Principal. Especially since I know he wants to hunt there and will be back.

• Like 1

Or run a a couple well hidden cams to get pics of the POS and blast his face all over the internet? Wow some people are idiots

• Like 16

IMO you did nothing wrong. Salt pits, cameras, waterhole/blind/treestands tend to make people who place such hunting aids believe they are entitled to an area. There is drama with these methods. End of story.

• Like 1

That is the problem I have with "some" guys who run trail cams, put up blinds, etc etc blah blah. The "ethics" of the modern day hunter often leaves much to be admired. Sadly, many of the fine attributes of the older generation and those that brought us to the woods are fading away. It is now a "sport" or a "competition" and the attitudes and egos that go along with it.

I am not against trail cams, blinds, or any other "aid" that will help a hunter. I am against the mentality that public land "belongs" to any ONE person.

Some of these individuals clearly were not spanked enough as children...

• Like 12

I don't usually, but I'll chime in. In my experience, a salt can look old and abandoned very quickly. What your looking at could be a spot someone is planning on using regularly, and has invested in for some time. This in no way means it belongs to him, however I believe reasonable respect is in order for these. There is no excuse to break or damage someone else's stuff, ever for any reason IMO. With that said, If it were me and I found a good spot that appeared to be abandoned, I would not set up right there. You're setting yourself up for an ugly confrontation and your stuff to get jacked up eventually. I think it would be better to do some searching and find a new spot in the same general area to set up from scratch, that way you are doing the work and you have the pride in knowing it is your investment, and not moving in on top of someone else's. Good luck, and best wishes on your endeavors.

• Like 7

You guys know I'm not a cam fan or wasn't, I really don't care any more, but I would never touch a Cam. That is Bull Chit. Thats others property leave it alone.......BOB!

• Like 2

I got into a great looking area a month ago in pine country that I had been eyeing and started to circle the perimeter. I eventually found a reasonably old ladder stand and abandoned salt pits that were hit HARD.

I moved on, not because I wasn't entitled to add salt, a camera, and plan on using the abandoned stand, but rather I would hate to be in a situation like yours. Some people suck, and I'm not about to stain my limited hunting time.

Good luck.

• Like 2

John o and pursuit, I feel you are right now that I look back at my decision. That's why I asked if I was in the wrong. I know it does not justify his actions but I should have moved on. At first I just picked up my cam and left. Sad oh well chip happens. I don't know if it was the heat or the long hike out but with every step I just got more angry. Maybe I'll just leave this alone and learn from it. I hate the bs drama anyways. Thanks for all the input guys. And yes leave peoples stuff alone.

• Like 5

Ammonia and/or bleach will usually keep the animals off the salt for a looong time. As will some scents that trappers use. Not saying i have first hand experience, but i might know a guy who knows a guy. I had someone steal my memory card and put their own camera and a treestand built out of lumber and nailed into the tree over my salt lick years ago.

• Like 4

Post GPS coordinates on the internet with pictures of a big buck. He'll have all the company he can handle. You were not wrong to put a camera where there was not one. He was wrong for touching something that does not belong to him.

• Like 6