Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 02/24/2011 in all areas

  1. 70 points
    Here is my 2019 Az strip mule deer. It only took me 19 years to draw the tag!! This was one of the best hunts I’ve ever had! Mostly because I was able to share it with my girlfriend who was there for the scouting trips and the Hunt. She was so excited to be there and watch me take a buck of a lifetime! I couldn’t have done it without her! After finding out I was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery a couple of months ago I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to make the hunt. She was there every step for me!! This Buck is OUR buck!!
  2. 68 points
    As I lay here in my tent, Mr. Buddy heater on low, 6" of snow surrounding us, camp 75% packed up....well...what can I say. Taylor is a badas$. We packed up Tuesday night and headed to Kaibab Wednesday morning. Rained the first 4 hours of the drive until we hit The Gap. We were ready for a 12 day mule deer marathon. Taylor was so excited to finaly be on the road.... The rain held off just long enough for us to set up camp, then started snowing. We tried to get some scouting in, but it started snowing hard enough we couldn't see 50 yards. So we headed back to camp for some dinner and a good night's sleep. Thursday morning, snowing up top, raining down low. Scouted down low, saw a couple "end of season" bucks tending does. Went up top in the afternoon, and battled the snow. Saw 3 more "end of season" bucks, but a lot of deer. Lots of smaller bucks too. With 2 minutes of "legal light" left as we were heading out...we saw an "opening day" buck. Only about 26" wide, but really tall, good forks, good mass, and a nice 6" sticker on his left antler off the G3. He would be our goal on opening morning....or so we thought. Opening morning showed clear skies, 19°, and snow covered hills above 7000'....and fog. Made glassing more than 100-200 yards impossible. So, we left the location we had seen the big buck for later, and went to a spot that has produced for us in the past. Got there just as the sun was breaking, and glassed up one of our "end of season" bucks and passed on him. I walked out on a point to glass some canyons and started picking deer out, from 200 to 2000+ yards away. Found a decent 4x4 @ 1575 yards, but across 7 or 8 canyons....no thanks. Found a 1 antlered 3 point, and I swear I saw 2 lions hightailing it. Couldn't get a good look, but definitely not deer running like that, and light tan. So back to the truck,and fog had burned off by 8:00. Decided to drive back and look for the big buck. On the way out, I was glassing every finger and cut....at 8:40...."there are some does.....ooh. And a buck. You might want to get out for this one....and grab the rifle....yeah, grab the rifle for sure." I range him, "430...dial 1.5MIL. He is moving....454, dial 1.7MIL. He is quartering away...he stopped...put one in him." BOOM! "He is down! Great shot!" We watched him for 10 minutes without so much as an ear twitch. Got landmarks, grabbed the packs, crossed two canyons, and definitely no ground shrinkage when we got to him. 5 hours of exhausting pack out. At the check station, they measured him at 31" inside spread, 33.25" outside. Taylor made short work of the late season, getting her buck about 1.5 hours into the hunt. And topping my biggest buck I have ever taken too. I am so proud of her, for the hard work she puts in shooting, for the positive attitude, for wanting to spend time with me, and her being such a great kid. I thank my wife too, for putting up with the time and money I put into hunting. And most of all, I thank God for allowing me my health, my wonderful family, and the beauty and the creatures he put on this earth.
  3. 54 points
    It was a TOUGH hunt where I was at in 6A......almost no bugling the entire hunt. The first week, I found 4 mature bulls feeding together down low and not a cow in sight! I knew it was going to be tough. After several passes on smaller bulls throughout the hunt, I finally got lucky and sneaked in on this bull while he was raking a tree. He was all alone and only bugled twice after daybreak. Pure luck I was able to come across him in the rain. One arrow at 36 yards did the trick...he was down in 25 yards after a bugle stopped him once he was hit. I feel very fortunate to have this bull on the last day!
  4. 54 points
    My season lasted a little over a half day. I got into my blind at about 7 am. Didn’t have any action until about 10 am, when a doe came in. After she left, nothing went on till just about noon when a two point came in. After that it was a steady stream of deer, couple spikes and does, till 1:30. I had about as much of the heat as I could take. I never had been so hot in a blind. I was wringing wet with sweat. At 1:45 I had enough. I got all my gear ready to go and took one last scan out of the blind to make sure I didn’t miss something. I looked up the hill and here came a big buck down the trail a long with a 1x2. I scrambled to get ready. The buck came right in front of my blind at 15 yards and was quartering away. Drew, settled my pin on the last rib, and released. The arrow it exactly were I aimed. The buck ran up the hill and stopped then walked off. I didn’t like the reaction of the deer so I gathered my stuff and went back to camp. Decided to give the buck two hours. At 4:00 I started on the blood trail. Not much blood. A few drops here and there. When I got to where I last seen him, the blood quit. Slowly I followed a few tracks and a couple broke limbs. 40 yards later there he was piled up. The arrow hit the last rib and came out on the back edge of the opposite shoulder. What an amazing day for a great buck! Brian
  5. 49 points
    we got a call Yesterday from her 1st time we talked since the initial Hostage call they make when they arrive at boot camp. she completed the Crucible sat. in 11 weeks Ive seen a chin a nose or forhead in pictures and wasnt sure it was her. today this was sent to me via txt. we go to her graduation next week and bring her home for 10 days. Final Drill picture this afternoon. went from this to this.
  6. 42 points
    My Girlfriend Ashley got it done in a big way this past Friday and knocked down a monster first Coues Deer! It was our only full day to get out and hunt together so we decided to roll the dice on a special buck that i've had 3 years of history with. It all happened so fast and was/is surreal because everyone knows that 99.9% of the time the stars just don't line up for you. I still can't believe that we got him and I am very proud of the effort Ashley put into harvesting this beautiful creature. DAN
  7. 42 points
    Got to my hunting unit on Friday 21st at 6:00 pm. 24 hrs later, Saturday at 6:00 pm, put an arrow in this bull, ran about 100 yards and dropped. I'm very happy! Thanks for looking
  8. 41 points
    I'll keep it short and sweet. Turns out, it was actually worth the decade long wait for a tag. I had a blast. Got to spend some quality time with my brother which is too rare these days. Almost killed a really good buck the first afternoon. Got to 45 yards from his does but he decided to run off a smaller buck and not come back for hours so I crawled back out and left the does bedded. Turned out to be a good thing because the second day I found my target buck and was able to slip an arrow in him. I was able to creep into 160 yards unnoticed and then spent the following four hours stuck laying on the ground covered in stickers and trying not to melt. They eventually gave me an opportunity to get to 70 and I made the most of the oppurtunity. I didn't get to see him fall but my brother Cole got to watch him flip just out of my sight. He was with 3 does back in a shallow canyon that isn't visible from any roads. He was 3.6 miles as a crow flies from where I first found him in July. He's beyond what I could have ever asked for. I shot him in the that unit that I'm hearing doesn't grow big bucks anymore so I got pretty lucky. I got the very last tag so it must have been meant to be. I feel like I shorted myself only hunting two days but I couldn't pass this buck. Not in a million years could I have passed this buck. Thanks for reading. Creed.
  9. 40 points
    My body finally stopped hurting enough to type. Short story 27 days hunting two bull bison seen on the last day. Long story Checking my cc when I saw the spring cards getting hit. I saw the typical nothing, a week later for s&g I check my points and then I see I was drawn after a few cards were declined. I literally lose my breath for a moment. I immediately start googling everything, watch every video on youtube and post something about getting drawn and get some big time help from a couple of CWT members WHTMTNHNTR, Tom and Chewy. I spend the months talking, practicing with my bow and talking to the guys who previously had the hunt. After talking to about 20 previous hunters I discover a theme about the politics of the situation. 18 essentially said the same thing and two had glowing reviews of Jacoby. I decide not to play and go away from the group always being respectful to the group but doing my own thing. First weekend (5 days) I run into a giant wall of snow and that doesn't allow me to get much past Jakob Lake. I decide to try Saddle Mtn Wilderness. Saturday morning just before dawn I am just waking up I hear a clop of a bovine animal 30 yards from where I sleep, I grab my flashlight and see a smaller bison escaping up the hill next to my truck. Nothing interesting happened for the rest of the time except for stopping at Lee's Ferry for the first time and catching a few trout. Two weeks later I go for 3 days I get within 3 miles of the traditional area and see my first bison sign at some far off point. getting stuck and nearly getting in a fight with some californians that rented some pretty cool razors and were driving like they stole them was the highlight May 10th , nine days, My brother and step dad come and we stay at big springs cabins. Finally get to a marginal area stina point and timp point. Lots of sitting no bison. Me and my brother decide to look around a bit and meet some other hunters and discover the main guide does not like people on his trail cams. My brother took it as a personal challenge and the next camera he saw he started using his Fortnite Repertoire and did the "orange justice" than the "carlton" and finished off the day with a "Dab" We meet a couple of other hunters and they suggest the loser dance and I go retro with MC Hammers U cant touch this. Snow is still much to hunt anything but the three mile stretch that the majority of hunters are in, I do my best to stay away from them. Jacoby very likely has 80 salts with cameras so it is very hard to leave his grasp. The week ends drinking Bacanora with a couple of turkey hunters from Chihuahua and a retired game california game warden telling hunting stories and looking at successes on each others phones. It was a good evening. The final week I go solo (10 days). I head to the nameless point where we cut some fresh tracks and I left a salt and a camera. Nothing. I check the other eight cameras I left out there and nothing. I learn that the only thing I missed for the week was more snow. Total one Bison was seen for the all of the group of hunters and it was still deciding its gender. Sitting there thinking and watching the same piece of salt for a few days I decided if I am going to fail, I will fail the way I am best hunting. Thick cover stillhunting. I go to the deepest canyon I can find and find one of the super special areas that one of the paying clients is in. I leave shaking my head in frustration. Friday comes around and I hear three gunshots, for the first time its warm enough not to wear jacket. Later I learn, a gentlemen I met at Arizona Archery Club filled his tag deservedly. Saturday I hear four more shots but no reports of any more bison taken, first day without rain or snow. Last day, I am resound to the fact I will not fill my tag and tell my wife I am leaving around noon. the voices in my head are telling me to go by the park entrance which I do. (you will hear voices in your head too if when you go ten days solo) I wake early and pass the groups meeting place an hour before there scheduled meeting time. I get to dirt tank 1 about the time the remaining hunters are getting to their group session and for the first time in the morning I leave my bow in the truck (packed to go home) and take my WW2 model 70 instead. I work my way to the southeast corner of the small field and then I see a brown head pop up and ram another brown head. For a second I think I am watching a couple of bears fighting, then I realize they are not bears. The fight is going on for several seconds as I am just realizing what I am watching. All of the videos and studying is kicking in and I start figuring out if they are male or female. The vitals are out of sight but there eyes and horns have me pinned. I drop to my stomach and crawl to a flatter area. they stop fighting and it looks they are going to leave when they turn and head to the flat part of the field. The closest bull is about 60 yards and the farther one is about 80. after 27 days i no longer care about which one is bigger and am waiting to see the penis sheath to confirm sex and a broadside shot. the one at 80 obliges. I place the crosshair on his heart and squeeze. He buckles and starts jogging I place two more shots in the lungs in a few seconds. the bull stops and place my last shot and last bullet for that matter in him and he drops and is down within 45 seconds of my first shot. This is where the pain begins I get my truck 248 yards from the bison on snowy road. I take pictures and take my pack. I start about 545 and put the last piece in my truck around 300. It was the second and final bison taken out of 25 tags. This is also my eighth big game species of the big 10 all of them solo, seven with my bow.
  10. 40 points
    This past weekend was one of the best camps I have been apart of in a long time. My Dad took his best buck and my buddy Sergio hammered a buck of a lifetime. Hope you guys enjoy a few pics of these true desert studs. .
  11. 39 points
    What a hunt! We busted our tails since the opener. From finding crazy things out in the hills to a bunch of close calls, it was an amazing adventure. One to stick in the memory bank for sure!! I am so dam proud of my wife. From nearly wanting to quit archery due to shoulder issues, learning to shoot left handed, etc., your persistence is incredible!! I was able to call this bull in from a burn and pull him right in front of Lorie, where she made a perfect 17 yd double lung shot....he went 60 yds and piled!! Congratulations!!!!! I’m sooo proud of you!!!! Beautiful 6x6 bull from last Saturday.
  12. 39 points
    Tough hunt when half the unit is closed due to fires. Got it done though. 81 yard double lung.
  13. 38 points
    Well, had a really tough hunt this year. Turns out I wasn't the only one that knew about my target bucks. After dealing with people shelling off artillery rounds at the bucks from over 1000 yards every morning i decided to back out of the area for a couple of days and let the pressure die down. I snuck back into my perch on Tuesday evening and was able to knock this buck down. He was about my "plan D" buck but I'm happy with him. I've always wanted a big two-point and i think this one qualifies. He's a really old troll of a deer and was the dominant buck in the area. A good one to get out of the gene pool. Sorry for the disgusting decapitation photos. He was a long ways from a road and didn't get to him until well after dark. The field photos were terrible.
  14. 38 points
    I'm not as active as I used to be on CWT. But I still linger and have always had a tremendous amount of respect for what Amanda built from the beginning. So if I can contribute to her and the rest of you Coues deer fanatics I will! I finally caught up with this buck after he eluded me last year. He's an old buck (and I'm not very smart) so I honestly couldn't be happier. It's always special when you can follow an animal this long. And for those who've done it, it can be very bitter/sweet also. I especially feel that way as I feel like I linger closer to my Coues deer hunting days being numbered. Enjoy.
  15. 37 points
    Last year, after getting frustrated with 24 BPs not getting me an AZ pronghorn tag, I bought a NM landowner pronghorn tag to get my feet wet. I had a blast, so this year, I bought two. One for my hunting buddy Taylor who would get first goat, and my second tag for me (only if Taylor killed early). What I didn't know at the time, was that NMGFD changed the way the landowner tags worked, and that the ranch owner's application to partner with NMGFD would get lost in the shuffle and not get approved, severely limiting the land access and hunting opportunities. Thank God for OnX Maps. We left on Friday morning @ 3:00am. Taylor could hardly contain her enthusiasm on the 11 hour drive out... We got to the ranch and got our written access paperwork by 2:30pm, and drove out to do some scouting to locate some good pronghorn. We covered quite a bit of ground, and glassed 10x more. Only locating 5 pronghorn by sunset, I was quite concerned. But right at sunset, I climbed a hill and glassed up a big herd to the south with a good buck, and a big herd to the north with a good buck. They were both about 2-3 miles away. But I could clearly make out decent horns on the two bucks. I stayed up.on that hill until full dark, checking back and forth for what the herds were doing. Both were active until I couldn't see anymore, and both had been moving about a mile each. We hatched a plan to go after one of the bucks first thing, and then the second if the morning didn't pan out, so as not to pressure either enough to spook them out of the state. Got to the house at 10:00pm, quick shower, and slept like the dead. Opening Day #1: Up at 3:30am, opening day excitement had me hopeful! Out to the parking spot by 5:15, leaving 30 minutes until legal shooting light. Grabbed the 15s, glassed up a bunch of does where we left them the night before. Grabbed the gear, and dropped.down in the wash that meandered through the huge valley the pronghorn were feeding through. We popped out about halfway out, right at legal shooting light, and see the buck walking to the does at 801 yards. A makable shot for Taylor, but not while he is moving. But he is moving towards the edge of the ranch property....and NM State land, which is off-limits to us. We drop back in the wash, and hurry to cut the distance, and hopefully catch the buck before he goes off ranch private property. Come out of the wash behind a low rise, and creep up to the top to see where they pronghorn are. 404 yards away....and on public land! Aargh. Feeding broadside. A chip shot....that we can't take. We stayed there, and eventually, the pronghorn started moving towards the public/private boundary. So we dropped back into the wash, and took off to close the distance again. When we peeked out again after about a half mile, we could see only a couple of the does. So we crept towards a small hill about 6' high that the pronghorn should be behind....peek over the top....there is the buck, bedded, at 390 yards! Yes! Still on public land, so safe for now, but the herd was slowly making their way to the private land. I told Taylor that we just needed to stay put as we were right on the boundary and knew exactly which direction the line was, and as soon as the buck stepped across it when he moved, she would have a decent shot. We waited for about 30 minutes, and some of the does were starting to move towards the boundary line very slowly.....then...we heard two shots at least 4 miles away....and the pronghorn were up and long gone onto a mesa and public land so fast. Well, that was fun and frustrating. Not expecting to see them again for a while, we head to check on goat #2 on our hit list. After hiking back about 2.5 miles and getting back to the truck, moving about 2 miles, we glassed him and his harem up about 3 miles away. So off we go, and lose them about a mile out. We glassed and could not relocate them again. So went and grabbed some lunch to rest and refuel. Opening afternoon, we went to a high point and glass up buck #1 and his herd about 4 miles to the west of where we left them in the morning. So we drove around to the other end of the valley and drive in a ways to try and locate them. We found them right on the top of the mesa, where private/public boundary stair-steps along the mesa. They kept staying about 1.5 miles head of us. I said if they got to a certain point, they would be on private land, and we might get a shot at him. Well, they had been hugging the edge for an hour, and went just up on top out of sight. We jumped out and closed the distance to the point on private land and waited...and waited...and waited some more. About 2 hours. Nothing of course. So hike back to the truck to check the high point and possibly locate buck #2. Drove out and around...and glass up buck #1 and herd exactly where we needed them to be! Aargh!!! Not enough time to get back, and probably wouldn't work anyway. We glassed up a bachelor herd of mule deer that rival some of the bucks on the Kaibab/Strip. We glassed up buck #2 as well. Possibly enough time to get to him. So off we go. Hiked in and was hoping to seal the deal with more cover to stay behind. Long story short, we got within 600ish yards, and his lookouts busted us. We were hugging a tree line, and those freaking pronghorns have amazing eyesight. They moved about 2 miles further in before they stopped. We tried to get close, but knew we were not going to make it after a mile, and would run out of light. Exhausted, we made it back to the truck right at sunset to head home. We put 14 miles on the boots through the day. On our way out, we saw a other bachelor herd of mule deer bucks that were jaw dropping. Back to the house by 10:30, shower, and fall into bed. Day #2: Up again at 3:30am. Out to the valley by 5:15. Glass up the herd of #1, but cannot locate the buck. He has to be there. Grab the gear, and book down the wash to close the 1.5 mile distance. Come out slowly and the herd is about 900 yards away. There was a small rise, and we kept low and crept up to within 330 yards of the nearest does, who were right on the boundary of private/public. We sat down to wait for buck #1 to show himself. An hour goes by, and the 22 does are all over. But still no buck #1. Then...I see 3 small bucks top the mesa rim and start heading down towards the does. I told Taylor, "Watch this..". We were in for an epic show. Out of literally nowhere, here comes buck #1 like a raging freight train. Ears back, flat out. The two smaller bucks were like, "We are OUT!" and booked it back up the mesa and gone. Little buck #3 must have been feeling lucky (or was trying to get lucky), and ran towards the ladies....and the chase was ON! For 30 minutes, Buck #1 chased little #3 at full speed. Mouths open, tongues out, up the ridge and down, a mile wide, in and out of the does. They even came within 330 yards onto private, but no chance for a shot. Finally, Buck #1 chased little #3 up and over they ridge and didn't return. They had riled up 6 or 7 does, and even they were running around chasing each other. Does chasing fawns, fawns chasing does, does chasing does. Itnwas amazing to watch. Eventually, 16 of the does followed them up and over. The 6 that were running went out in the valley. So we decided to get close to the base and wait for them to come back down. There was no water up top, and I was hoping Buck #1 needed a drink after the chase. We crept up to another small wash and got set up next to the only bush around...about 2' tall. We sat there for about 4 hours as the sun and temps rose. Taylor was set up for them to come back down. I set up tripods with sweatshirts for shade trying to stay cool. After 4 hours, me dozing 10 minutes at a time crawled up into the bush, mosquitos/flies/grasshoppers invading, Taylor was hot, hungry, and ready to get lunch. We stayed for another 30 minutes, hoping the goats.would come down. So we packed up, and headed back towards the truck 3 miles away. Got about 1/4 mile away, looked back....and 15 does are on the ridge watching us walk away. Are you serious? Well, we cannot go back now without spooking the pronghorn, so we wait right there until the does turn and walk away. Back to the truck and go check for buck #2 with no luck, chug some Gatorade, and head to grab some lunch. Just as we get back on the property, I got a call from Brandon who was out hunting too. He knew where we had been hunting, and had just seen our buck #2 we had been hunting and gave us the location, and a great plan for the stalk to get close. I told him to go shoot it, but he was gracious enough to decline since he knew we were chasing him, and we met to verify location. We stopped at the lookout point to glass for both herds. Buck #1 was nowhere to be found, but I glassed up buck #2's herd about 2 miles up a canyon, right where Brandon said they were. I couldn't find Buck #2, but knew he would not be far away. So we parked right off the main dirt road, grabbed our stuff, and set out to try and locate buck #2. Straight up a ridge and 1.5 miles along it, we kept an eye on the herd. We went as far as we could, and luckily the end had some trees on top. Got close to the edge and peeked over....buck #2 was bedded in the middle of his herd about 400 yards out. Brandon's suggestion had worked perfectly. So we dropped the pack, got everything ready, Shooter app up, rifle set up, and did the Army crawl the last 10 yards through the prickly pears and rocks and got set up for the shot. Buck #2 was bedded away from us, with no good shot available. We laid in the sun for 45 minutes waiting for a shot opportunity. Finally, the buck got up, turned broadside and started walking. Took about 5 steps amd bedded back down, but broadside this time. 391 yards, 2° downhill, 4mph L-R breeze. Taylor dialed, and was uncharacteristically shaking like a leaf. I told her where to hold, and take some breaths, and relax. Squeeze slowly, breath, squeeze. BOOM! That buck never even kicked. Flopped over, stone dead! The 130 Berger OTM @ 2888fps from the 6.5SLR worked like a charm. Taylor had her 1st pronghorn ever. A nice heavy buck with good prongs, and a beautiful heart shape. Got him quartered up and packed him back to the truck in an hour. I told Taylor I was pulling out all the stops for buck #1 the next day. Got back to the house by 6:00pm, grabbed a shower and some groceries so I could pull an all-day chasing buck #1. Put down another 12 miles for the day. In bed by 8:30pm. Day #3: Up at 3:30am, told Taylor she could stay at the truck if she wanted, or go with me. She opted to stay and relax at the truck...which would turn out to be a smart move and a huge help to me as well. Out in the valley by 5:15am. Glassed up 6 does, and figured buck #1 had to be around. Grabbed my gear and doubled timed it down the wash to close the 2 mile distance. At about 6:00am, I came out of the wash thinking I should be pretty close to the does, and hoping I had just not seen the rest of the herd in the dark. Buck #1 was coming out of the same wash 350 yards away! Of course I have my rifle in my pack scabbard. Took 2 steps back, grab the rifle, deploy the bipod, and creep back out of the wash....to NOTHING! No does, no buck. I really doubted they could have made a 1 mile dash in the 1 minute it took me to get my rifle out and not be seen, so I just KNEW they had to still be down in the valley somewhere. So I spent the next hour sneaking across the floor glassing over every little rise I came to...with no sightings. Now I figured they had to have either gone up top, or were hanging out in one of the fingers along the mesa edge. So I climbed to the top and started a long walk along the edge glassing and checking the fingers. Nothing. About 10:30, I texted Taylor and asked if she thought she could find the other road on the west end about 8 miles away. She said she could, so I told her to start heading over so I could cut my walk back to the truck from 6.5 miles to hopefully less than 2. 10:45am, I see two does walking out of the mirage about 400 yards ahead of me. We are right on the public/private boundary, and they are on the private side! I texted Taylor to pull over and wait. Then...more does....and more does. I am standing on a mesa, with grass about 6" tall and just a small 2' high slight rise between me and the herd of pronghorn we have been chasing for 3 days. Then.....I see him heading toward the does from my left....it was my turn to start the shakes. I figured I could get to two short yuccas about 10' away. I took 2 achingly imperceptible slow steps....and those first 2 does bust me cold. The rest of the does are heading towards them, but angling away. So I slowly dropped my pack and deployed my bipod. I kneeled down behind the rifle, but the two does started getting nervous. Well, my hat is tan on the front, with a white mesh back. So I slowly reached up and turned my hat around backwards with the white forward. Those 2 does seemed to really relax and get interested. They started towards me! The rest of the does angled my way, and so did buck #1.....I could only see the top of his back with the slight rise between us. I couldn't get a range on him! So I ranged a yucca he was behind @ 410. I figured he was at 430, so I dialed 1.2MIL on my 6 Creed. I knew it would have 19" of drop, and the bullet should clear the rise by 10-12" hopefully. When he stopped, I exhaled slowly, and touched off the shot.....I saw him spin, butt drop, and go over backwards in the scope! The does scrambled. I jumped up and glassed the pronghorn milling about....no horns anywhere. I knew he must still be down. 5 seconds later, I get a text from Taylor, "Was that you?" "Yep, he is down!" Grabbed my gear, got to the rise, and see him down. 3 days, plus 6 hours & 6.5 miles it took to get a shot at him. (Total of about 20 miles of stalking him) He must have been a bit further than I figured. Shot hit about 3" lower than I figured it should. But it broke the front leg, and liquified his heart. The 105 Hybrid stopped just under the offside hide, almost exiting. It blew the hair off, and started to rip the skin. And here he is... Taylor drove to the base of the mesa, hiked up, we took some.photos, tagged him out, cut him up and hiked own to the truck in about 90 minutes. Entrance side....who says match bullets shouldn't be used for hunting? Expansion seemed to be pretty good. Weight retention is about 49%. The trip back was pretty much like the trip out. I thank God every day I have my girl to share my love of hunting with, the beautiful and free country we live in, the magnificent game we have to opportunity to pursue, and the bounty He gives us to grace our dinner tables with. I thank my loving wife who puts up with my nonsense and childish antics, and my spending and time I put in with shooting throughout the year to make this all possible. I thank Brandon and Stan for helping out with info and sightings as well. My buck was green scored at 82 3/8" gross, 81 2/8" net. But either way, with the memories I made with Taylor this week, both pronghorn are true trophies.
  16. 36 points
    I was lucky enough to draw a Wyoming bull bison tag last spring. I’ve put in for WY, AZ, and UT for a decade or so and pulled a AZ tag a few years back and was unsuccessful after sitting in a blind for 158 hours. I was really hoping for another chance as I really couldn’t bring myself to shoot a fenced one on a ranch or reservation (I’m 1hr from the Ft peck rez which has bison hunts but they are fenced). The season runs aug 15-dec31 and then they reopen it from jan1-31 if they haven’t had any buffalo migrate down from the park. They shut the hunt down as soon as they start feeding the elk in Jackson Hole which has traditionally been mid jan. I decided to go as late as I thought was comfortable without getting shut out. Turned out it was still early. These hunts used to be easy, the buffalo would show up in nov or dec and they’d be near 100% success. The last 5 years or so the buffalo just don’t come down. The snow was deep when we got there, so much so we needed horses just to get through it at all. The buffalo unfortunately still hadn’t come down. There was a rumor of one bull on the elk refuge, there were about 15 more on the park about 5 miles off and the rest were all way way off in the park and likely won’t be here before they close the season. Well my luck finally turned on wild bison. We picked up tracks in the river bottom first am and caught up to the lone old bull on horseback. I was able to get into about 125 yards. I tucked a 175 swift a frame into his heart with my 7mm STW, then another. He spun around and started heading out. Couldn’t believe it. I put the next two into his low shoulder to break him, which sort of worked. I had time to reload and put two more in the base of his skull before he finally tipped. All shots where lethal. Can’t believe how tough they are!!! We got him gutted and were able to get horses and a sled to him. They’ve got draft horses here to drag them out, I really didn’t think it was possible but they got him drug about a mile to the nearest retrieval road and loaded whole!!! He weighed 958# carcass weight! That puts him at about 1600-1700# on the hoof. Should make Boone and Crockett and we are gonna have a few years of great eating!! Super stoked to have finally ended this quest. We were able to get done early enough to get in a little skiing and are having him butchered and frozen right away so we can haul him home ready to go in the freezer (freezers!). Edit: Sorry about the sideway pics. They all looked the same on my phone.
  17. 36 points
    I was fortunate to take my ram mid day on December 2nd surrounded by friends and family. Special thanks to my dad who scouted for me and burned miles of roads and glassed for hours.......As you all know, it was the hunt of a lifetime. He wasn't the biggest ram out there, but he is perfect to me. Sheep slow motion.xspf
  18. 35 points
    Well, I couldn't hold out for long. My best scouted ram is down. Not the biggest or oldest in the unit, but my lifetime desert bighorn was taken at 8:30AM on my 33rd birthday. Most of my hunting partners, as well as my dad and brother all had a heavy, contributing hand to make this one special. More to come, but for now..
  19. 35 points
    I was able to harvest this FREAK bull Saturday with the help of Jimmy Mullins and Jeff Wright. Watching the two of them work together was amazing. They had me in bulls all day Friday and Saturday morning. This bull was bugling and Jeff stayed back about 30 yards and Jimmy and I slowly crept forward until we could finally see the bull. Jeff let out another bugle and the bull began thrashing a tree. He quickly turned and started walking towards Jeff. I was there to bring home a typical as close to the 400 mark as possible. Jimmy knew that and told me he may not score the highest but what do you think about freaks?.................. I had about 5 seconds to make a decision and when Jimmy stopped the bull in the only small opening we had I tapped my release. The shot was true and we watched him tip over only 40 yards away. Finally putting our hands on this bull was incredible and then to find out we had a picture of him back in June was even better. Enjoy the pictures and if you ever get a chance hunt with Jimmy and Jeff, they truly make magic happen out there!!!
  20. 35 points
    I had the privilege of helping my nephew get his first elk this morning. He has a CHAMP and crossbow permit. Walking more than a 100 yards on flat ground was going to be tough, so sitting water was going to be our main focus of hunting. Yesterday, he and his dad found a tank that had a lot of elk coming into that was easy access for him to get into. After sitting last night, no elk were seen but some nice bucks did come in to keep them occupied while sitting. This morning I was able to go, so we decided to go sit the same tank. We got there just before daylight and we could hear some bulls blowing but they were a long ways off. After a little bit a bull started getting closer an closer blowing as he come. Finally we could see him on top of the ridge and he was coming in. He first got to the water facing straight on. He walked out into the tank and screamed right at us. He turned broadside and Mike was just about to shoot when he turned straight away and started drinking. After a minute or so, he started raking his antlers in the mud and little by little he started to turn. He was quartering away and I told Mike to aim right at the last rib and squeeze it off. The shot hit perfect, lodging in the opposite shoulder. The bull took off and I cow called and got him to stop. Not five seconds later he was down at 80 yards. The hunt was so much fun and glad I was able to be apart of it. Everything worked out perfect. Brian
  21. 34 points
    Here are some pics of my sons big horn hunt success, 15ds amazing hunt and memories 165 5/8 Gross 165 3/8 net
  22. 34 points
    I was fortunate to have had a chance at this buck with the AZ heat last week and the moon. Extremely poor movement during the day and it was a grind. Scouting him in the summer and he was the #2 buck. Found this guy up and feeding in the evening in the heat for the first time in 3 days. Got set up, he fed my way, and I made a poke. 6.5 PRC, 130 Berger VLD. He's 1/4" shy of 30" wide...
  23. 34 points
    Well after 20 years of applying I was able to hunt the famed Strip this year. It turned out to be everything that I would have hoped for and came home with a buck of a lifetime. Can't thank my buddies at Shadow Valley Outfitters for helping put in the leg work prior to the season starting when I couldn't be up there. Now that I got this out of the way I can get back to hunting Coues 😀
  24. 33 points
    I don't post on here much but like most of you I get on just to see cool pics of cool bucks. I feel this is a buck many would enjoy to see. Luck: when preparation meets opportunity. That’s the best way I can describe this hunt. Due to some life events I didn’t not have time to scout much this year. I actually missed the first day of the hunt and the second day committed to helping a friend fill his tag on the one day he had free. We had some luck filling his tag with a nice 90ish buck then it was game on for me and my tag. It would be a solo hunt for the rest of the season which I mostly do and prefer in most ways. I decided I would hunt a spot that I nicked named “The Hole”. It’s a spot I have looked at in previous years, one years was covered with decent buck, then some years I have a hard time turning anything up. I had never taken a deer there but knew it could hold a good one since it was a “hole”. This spot is not hard to access but I knew it’s a spot hunters overlook and I call it “The Hole” because, while it’s not that hard to access and not that far of a hike, it’s a pain in the butt to hike in given the brush and terrain. The only good glassing spot is pretty uncomfortable and with an all-day sit during an early season you WILL get burnt. I get to the glassing spot with a good 30min sit to cool down before its even light enough to start glassing. This is done for a reason as while most of what I glass from here is a good 1000 yards away, one of the better bucks I had seen in years prior was on a small ridge just in from of the glassing point about 350 yards away. As most of you know that darn close to get to Coues especially just to glass so I knew getting in there in the dark was a must. I sat there and set up the glass on the tripod and started glassing before there was much light to even see anything, thinking ‘Well it’s about that time when lots of hunters are just waking up and the deer are the most active’. Through the low light I make out the form of a deer’s body on the ridge just in front of me at 375 yards. I make out some antlers and continued to watch as the light began to make it easier to see. Due to the subdued light I couldn’t tell exactly what he was and being the first deer that morning I began looking around to see what else may be out. For about 15-20 min I looked around for more deer and not seeing any other and I kept going back to the buck I saw. He was slowly feeding uphill as I was getting a better look. I could not see his main beam on one side so I thought he was a big 2 on one side and a 3 on the other. To be honest I still wasn’t sure it was a buck I wanted to shoot to end my hunt so quick. Finally got an angle seeing it was, what I thought, a good 3x3. This look was just after coming back to him and I thought well that looks like a good buck maybe another one showed up. The decision was made at this point to shoot but it took a bit to find a place to set up, the buck only being 350 yards now. While getting the gun set up the deer disappeared on me. It was now maybe 15 min before sunrise, yes that buck was on his feet for just a short while in the daylight. The last spot I saw him was on the edge of a large brushy patch so I figured he was in there somewhere. The wind was howling to and he was on the shaded side from the wind so it made no sense for him to leave, my gut told me hes still there. I watched the brush for about 45 minutes and I catch the buck up for just a few seconds as he shifted in his bed. No shot before a bedded back down, but now I knew where he was and could make out bits of his antlers through the brush. I made sure the gun was ready and got the phone scope set up to film the shot and the wait began. I waited for about 45mins and at was getting back on the gun to make sure it was ready. Well I looked in the scope and there he was standing. He was now looking over his shoulder and looked uneasy. Not knowing if he was about to bolt I decided to bag the filming and take the shot. At 350 yards I felt 100% confident on the hit but watch to see if anything runs off the ridge and nothing showed up. I gather my gear, make the short hike across the small canyon and find this. When I pull him out of the brush he just got bigger. I did not see all the mass, extra points, and thought how stupid I was in thinking I may pass. I was gitty for a while and got to work. The pack-out was heavy and sucked but I loved every minute of it. Yes, luck had a lot to do with it but my preparation, previous knowledge and opportunity all aligned for this hunt. I've had the privileged to take some great buck, working a lot harder to do so, but this is my best. Sorry for the long read that did.
  25. 33 points
    I was fortunate enough to take my biggest coues buck to date this last Saturday along side two of my very good buddies Patrick and Trey. I wanted to hunt a new area that I have always thought would hold a good buck or two. I’ve just been very hesitant to go up in there because the country is so rugged. Saturday started off early. Our alarms went off at 3:15 am and it was finally game time. I was very excited as this was my first coues Hunt since my last one in 2016. We started hiking at 4:30am and finally arrived to our glassing spot just before 6:15am. 45 minutes into glassing I found what looked like a deer. Sure enough it was a little buck. I was excited to see this deer cause up till then all we had seen is one doe. As I was looking at this little guy I noticed a deer in a shadow underneath him. I zoned in on this deer and he finally picked his head up and right away I knew he was a good buck. I quickly called Patrick and trey to head over to where I was at. Patrick and trey finally got to me and we busted out our big glass and started examine this buck. After about 10 minutes of looking I knew I wanted to kill this deer. He and his two buddies ended up bedding at about 8am. After coming up with a game plan, Patrick and I bailed off the mountain as trey stayed back to keep eyes on the deer. An hour or so later Patrick and I finally got to the spot where we thought we could get a shot. 5 minutes into glassing Patrick finds him bedded 515 yards away. We quickly set up the 28 nosler on a rock and I settle in. Boom! My first shot goes off. Patrick says “you hit high shoot again”. I rack another round on and try to find the buck again. I finally found him still laying there in the same spot. I settle in again.... BOOM! Patrick again says “dude you hit high again aim lower!” At this time the buck is standing and is aware something is not right. I’m startled because the scope is dialed into exactly what the dope sheet says and I’m laying prone as steady as can be. BOOM! I shoot again this time hitting low. At this point the buck is terrified and knows something is not right. He runs down the mountain 30 yards and I find him again. BOOM! WHACK!!! I could hear the billet finally connect. Patrick is telling me “you hit him you hit him!” Finally a sign of relief on my end. The buck runs down the mountain 200 yards where he finally expired in a patch of oak trees. Patrick and I load up our gear and call trey on the radio to tell him to head on over that we had got the buck. It took Patrick and I about 45 minutes to get across the canyon to my deer. I finally got to him and I was in disbelief that i had just killed this beautiful coues buck. Trey finally got to us about an hour or so later and we quickly took pics and then started on cutting the deer up to get off the mountain. We finally got back to camp where we met up with my dad. He was nice enough to drive all the way out to camp to bring up some steaks to celebrate my best coues yet. Special thanks to Patrick and Trey. I couldn’t have done it without you guys!!! Special thanks to my dad Steve for coming out and bringing us food! 🤣🤣. Hope you all enjoy the pics. Steven